Oculus Quest Hands-On: The New King of Mobile VR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy_118

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017
"combines the high graphics quality of the Rift with the cordless freedom of the Go". So to be fair I don't know what you experienced when trying it, but this is a verifiable as inaccurate. The Oculus Quest runs a Snapdragon 835 (yes, the same old processor inside last years Pixel 2 and Samsung S8). One would think a site devoted a tech would know this and understanding the VAST DIFFERENCE between the Quest which Geekbench scores around 6730 and say a minimum Rift spec dedicated GPU like the nVidia GTX 970 which scores over 100,000 on the same benchmark. We're talking about exponential performance difference... I realize Mark Zuckerberg didn't get into these limitations in his keynote but when he said "Rift quality experiences" he was most certainly talking about the VR room scale and controller interfaces, not graphics.

claychilde

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
OLED, great. But it doesn't mean a thing if it ain't got quality lenses - Fresnels, with their lens-flares and ring-ghosting (particularly ruinous when viewing video) aren't quality. The fact that Quest has the same lenses as Go -flogging Fresnels for all their worth, which is not much - speaks volumes about Oculus priorities. I've purchased Fove, Go and Mirage Solo - all with accursed Fresnel lenses. Never again.

Sep 28, 2018
Why are you quoting the install size of PC VR games? Oculus Quest will obviously have it's own 'mobile' versions of those games that take up much less storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.