OEM Driver not working properly

Yutrzenika

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
I have an Acer Aspire E1 572G, with an AMD graphics card on Windows 8.1.

I tried updating the drivers for the graphics card, but there were issues with it, so I uninstalled it using Device Driver Uninstaller, redownloaded the OEM drivers and installed them. Problem is, for some reason there was no catalyst control panel, no switchable graphics options when right clicking the desktop, basically everything the driver is supposed to have isn't there. I've dried doing multiple clean installs, but nothing works, I've tried everything I could, and at this point I'm about ready to format my laptop. Is there anything else I can try to fix this? New versions of the AMD catalyst drivers do not work, so I need the OEM drivers.

Solution
So I fixed the problem. It turns out Acer has a recovery tool which has a all the OEM drivers partitioned off on the drive, and I just simply reinstalled the driver from there. Right under my nose the entire time.

Regardless, thanks for the help.

Yutrzenika

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
No. That is the problem I'm having. This isn't the first time I've had to rollback my video drivers when attempting to install new drivers. Difference is the oem drivers worked before.

Yutrzenika

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
Basically, anytime I've tried updating drivers in the past it caused the sleep and hibernate functions to not work properly. Laptop wouldn't go fully into sleep but also won't wake up, meaning I'd have to force restart it. I've seen people with this and other issues, saying they basically had to stick with the oem drivers because other drivers caused issues on laptops.

Yutrzenika

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
So I can't actually find drivers in the link you provided, for my series of graphics card specifically. I checked their drivers page and it looks like it's just one set of drivers for all, or something.

EDIT: So my graphics card isn't actually showing up under the device manager either... I also tried AMDs auto detect thing, and it didn't work. In the device manager, all that's shown under display adapter is Intel HD Graphics Family, down the list there's "Other Devices", and under that is "Video Controller" with an exclamation mark next to it in a yellow box. I attempted to install the driver, but I get the error "Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it." along with "The System cannot find the specified file." with no file actually specified. Is there any way for me to find restore points that are older than the ones displayed in Windows 8.1? It seems like I'm all out of options, but I really don't want to format.

So I can't actually find drivers in the link you provided, for my series of graphics card specifically. I checked their drivers page and it looks like it's just one set of drivers for all, or something.

The same drivers work for the whole range. Same with nVidia.

Yutrzenika

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012

So I tried the absolutely newest beta drivers, my graphics card is once again showing up under the device manager, where it should be, I have the catalyst control center installed, along with everything that should be there, like switchable graphics.

Unfortunately, the problems that come with using newer drivers still persist, I cannot put my laptop into sleep or hibernate, unless I want to force restart it..

EDIT: So when I went through the setup process for the OEM drivers, it didn't actually install the drivers, it just created a folder in my C drive with some slightly newer drivers that aren't the OEM drivers. The drivers should be 13.152.0.0, but instead these folders contain 14.12. I tried installing them anyways, but they didn't work at all, like I said, the GPU won't show up on my device driver. It works fine when I have the 15.5 beta drivers installed, but I like being able to use my sleep mode.

Yutrzenika

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
So I fixed the problem. It turns out Acer has a recovery tool which has a all the OEM drivers partitioned off on the drive, and I just simply reinstalled the driver from there. Right under my nose the entire time.

Regardless, thanks for the help.

Solution