Office Activation

Aussie1

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2004
I've just purchased Office 2003 Professional and would prefer not to be bullied into the whole "activation" scam. Anyone know how I can avoid this ?

Cheers,
Jason

BunnyStroker

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
AFAIK, you can't.

But - you can activate by only providing the country you are in - is this really such a privacy violation?

<b>1.4 Ghz AMD T-Bird underclocked to 1 Ghz...just to be safe!</b>

Aussie1

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2004
I guess that's what I'll have to do. Many thanks for your help.

I don't know how much of a privacy violation it is but I am concerned over two things. Firstly, I've already paid good money for this software and I don't see why now I should have to ask Bill for his permission to use it. Secondly, Microsoft tell us there are no privacy issues here, and yet it seems like we've all heard that one before (i.e. Spyware etc.)

I'm probably just a bit paranoid about the whole thing :)

BTW, what's AFAIK ???

Thanks again,
Jason

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Try Opewn Office or 602Project (I think that's the name). OO is just as good as MSO and doesn't have all of the bloat. I've run it on both Mandrake and WxpPro with no problems.

I know enuff to be dangerous. :tongue:

arkus

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2003
If you can do so (and not everybody can of course), use the Volume Client Licensing versions of Microsoft products, as they do not require any activation whatsoever.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=2765&st=0#entry21597" target="_new">My Rigs</A>

Ned_Flanders

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2004
I'm probably just a bit paranoid about the whole thing :)

OR, you D/L the software and obviously cannot activate it. :lol: - I can see right through you buddy.

AFAIK - As far as I know

Aussie1

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2004
"I can see right through you buddy."

No, actually, you cannot. The last time you bought a car, did you then have to ask the mfg for permission before you drove it ?

This latest trend in "product activation" is, quite frankly, offensive. I have purchased my last product that uses such methods and now choose software solutions that do not make the assumption I am a criminal.

BunnyStroker

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
No, actually, you cannot. The last time you bought a car, did you then have to ask the mfg for permission before you drove it ?
Very true, but you have to admit that it is far easier to steal software than to steal a car.

<b>1.4 Ghz AMD T-Bird underclocked to 1 Ghz...just to be safe!</b>

Ned_Flanders

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2004
activation involves clicking a few buttons and entering a key. Buy the software!

Zoron

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002

This latest trend in "product activation" is, quite frankly, offensive. I have purchased my last product that uses such methods and now choose software solutions that do not make the assumption I am a criminal.

You have 30 days to use the software as you will before you will be forced to activate. As for making the assumption you're a criminal, don't blame Microsoft, blame the software pirates. It's amazing how many illegal copies of Windows are out there. You're not 'asking for permission' to use the software, you are merely verifying that you have actually legally purchased the software... what would you suggest M$ do to protect their intellectual property?

All activation requires is that you tell M$ what country you're in... hardly the invasion of privacy you make it out to be.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

RichPLS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2004
Yea, so the richer you get, the greedier you get.
So much software was being stolen, MS was going bankrupt. I couldn't stand to watch the inhumanity of it all.
Thank goodness they came up with a solution to insure that they get every dollar earned for their excellently engineered software.
And the price reductions that we have been granted for this statastrophic increase in revenue from reducing piracy is much appreciated by us users.

Ned_Flanders

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2004
Are you attempting to be sarcastic?

If so:
If you don't like Microsofts products don't use them. Simple. Windows -> Linux, MS Office -> Open Office
And if you still want to complain, code the program your self and stop whining :lol:

If I misread your post and saracsm was not intended :

have a niché day

Aussie1

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2004
This whole product activation idea is a can of worms and while the extent to which it invades our privacy is minimal now, you can expect it to get much worse over the coming years.

From the perspective of the software companies, this is just the "softening up" phase. Once the majority of people are used to product activation, the demands on your privacy will increase.

Quickbooks, here in Australia, are already charging a fee for product activation. I have also spoken with people who tell me Microsoft have done the same, but will waive the fee if you challenge them on it. You can bet that situation worsens.

And to make matters worse for the honest people in this world who suffer through this decline in their rights, and, as you quite rightly point out, anyone with a broadband connection and the ability to carryout a Google search can download and install a pirated version of almost any software they like within minutes.

Has the idea of product activation even made a dent in the level of piracy out there ? I think not, and yet software mfgr's continue to pursue the idea. Call me paranoid, but don't deny there is a definite effort afoot to water-down the rights of the consumer.

Cheers

RichPLS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2004
You too young Grasshopper will learn. The rich get richer and the rest get poorer. The best defence is bringing the truth to the front lines.
Most sheeples follow blindly and question not, but the writing is thier for your translation.
They will push and pursue all that you will accept, draw the line and shake their foundations, and policies will change.
Look at Intuit, year before last, with locking release on one PC. They relented because of the outrage the next.
If you accept it, it will get worse, admonish it, and have it your way.
You hold the cards, give them away if you want. I prefer to think I make a difference.

Zoron

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
You have opened my eyes! How dare M$ make money on their products?!? I demand right now that they donate a free copy of Windows and Office to ever computer user on the planet! That should curb the rampant pirating of software! :smile:

Face it... while you may not be living in a country where the majority of software is pirated, some people are. The software companies have every right to protect their intellectual property... whether we like it or not. Besides, we all know there are ways around product activation... not exactly legal, mind you, but there are ways. As long as there are hackers and crackers out there, there will be product activation. If you have a better idea on how to protect software you've worked on for so long and with so much effort, I'd be happy to hear it.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>