Office For iOS And Android Apparently Due Next March

Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Interesting, but can't help but wonder why MS would do this, 6 months of exclusivity before handing over the crown jewels? If it were me I would see how Windows 8 on tablets does for sales and if they fly off the shelves I would tank the Android and iOS versions.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Office 365 for android and iOs cost $149/year.

Office for windows phone 8 - free.

Win/Win for Microsoft. Buy our phone, or pay $150 a year to us anyways.

twelch82

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Interesting, but can't help but wonder why MS would do this, 6 months of exclusivity before handing over the crown jewels? If it were me I would see how Windows 8 on tablets does for sales and if they fly off the shelves I would tank the Android and iOS versions.[/citation]

I think they are doing it because they want to make sure that choice of mobile platform doesn't pull people away from Office. It's better to have Office on Android, and keep an Office user, than it is to say "all or nothing" and not get anything out of that user at all.

redyellowblueblast

Honorable
May 21, 2012
- Or I can just use Google Docs right now for free... I don't understand why people pay for products when there are free alternatives out there that are just as good. As baffling as it is, Microsoft is a master of making people pay for a product that would normally be free elsewhere.

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
[citation][nom]redyellowblueblast[/nom]- Or I can just use Google Docs right now for free... I don't understand why people pay for products when there are free alternatives out there that are just as good. As baffling as it is, Microsoft is a master of making people pay for a product that would normally be free elsewhere.[/citation]
Office works right and it does it well. Business can't be bothered with wasting time with freeware

Jigo

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
Kingsoft Office is really cool on my Nexus7, and it's free. It has a bit of the office 2010 feeling with a ribbon (can be hidden)

jaquith

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Microsoft is a software company, so they make money selling software. Therefore, it's all about money - period. Selling products on all platforms makes for good business.

Yeah they manufacture surface, but for now that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.