Official: Apple's iPad On Sale April 3rd

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Euphoria_MK

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
[citation][nom]gpace[/nom]Now, to be fair, convertible tablets are thicker then the Ipad, and might not have the same runtime [/citation]

Yes a good point, beside having a lower battery life it's also heavier and a bit more expensive, and it takes longer to boot.

I want to have something I can just pick, press a button and I have all my books ready for access.

Dawgsoverrebs

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
[citation][nom]Euphoria_MK[/nom]yeah, exactly my point it's all that and it's only $499.While you have the kindle for $489 and it's just a black and white e-book reader... With no apps or games...I would primarily purchase this device so i can have all my textbooks and other books on one place, so I can pick up the iPad and read or study. The other media apps are just a plus....For viewing movies or playing games I have my Crossfire Desktop which is connected with HDMI to my HDTV...The IPad is not suppose to replace your laptop or desktop....[/citation]

Its the ipod for twice the price with no innovation. Also BTW don't expect whatever book you want on this thing its not even out yet and has its own book format it'll be awhile before there's a good selection of e books for it. I'm not denying that what Apple is doing is a good thing I think tablets will take off and be very useful but the iPad really has nothing to make it worth buying at this point i have everything it has and more on my iphone

Euphoria_MK

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
[citation][nom]Titanius[/nom]Ask and ye shall receive![/citation]

Yep I guess that's how far your maturity and intellect goes...
Now go and cry to your mommy. :)

Euphoria_MK

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
[citation][nom]dawgsoverrebs[/nom]BTW don't expect whatever book you want on this thing its not even out yet and has its own book format it'll be awhile before there's a good selection of e books for it.[/citation]
I know but they already have three of the biggest publishers signed up with them including Pinguin: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/penguin-ipad-books-adult-children,news-6025.html

I like the bigger screen.. I was using my brothers iPod touch for a while and reading books on it gives me headache... The screen is a bit to small for extensive reading. Also zooming in and out all the time gets a bit annoying...
I think they did a great job with it... although there is more place for improvement, and hopefully some price cuts will be coming along the way.

cyprod

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
You know Euphoria, pull your smug head out of your @$$. This thing is fine as a video player and web browser, but will make a terrible ebook reader, and here's why.

I don't know what you do for a living, but I'm an engineer. Engineers read for a living. In a given day I read ~100 pages. All of that is distributed via PDF, word or some other digital format. After a couple of hours of reading on a backlit display, it feels rather as if somebody has jammed needles into the back of my eyes. I'm not readong on a CRT, it's an LCD. In fact, if I have lots of reading to do, I print it out to save the inevitable headache of reading on a back lit display. Not to mention, paper is visible in sunlight, unlike a back lit display. And all of these reasons are exactly why e-ink was invented. Because for reading and general purpose mobile viewing, basically anything other than indoors or night time viewing, back lit displays SUCK.

Dawgsoverrebs

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
I just cant imagine buying this thing now at least wait til the next version comes out. I know i will have a tablet of some sort in the next couple of years but not this first iPad and def not at $600

cmdprompt

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
[citation][nom]gorehound[/nom]do yourself a favor and support real bookstores before they go the way of the dinosaur.i will not buy any kind of device like the ipad.[/citation]

Yes, and support your local whip and buggy manufacturers or they will go the way of the dinosaur too... oh, snap... they already have. Sarcasm aside, as an author, digital is where things are going. It is inevitable. All you need to do is look at what is happening with newspapers worldwide to see where the publishing industry will be in 5 years. Since I bought my first e-reader, I haven't set foot in a brick and mortar bookstore other than to get some starbucks. Why would I? I can download the book to my ebook reader in seconds from the comfort of my sofa.

fracture

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]cmdprompt[/nom]Yes, and support your local whip and buggy manufacturers or they will go the way of the dinosaur too... oh, snap... they already have. Sarcasm aside, as an author, digital is where things are going. It is inevitable. All you need to do is look at what is happening with newspapers worldwide to see where the publishing industry will be in 5 years. Since I bought my first e-reader, I haven't set foot in a brick and mortar bookstore other than to get some starbucks. Why would I? I can download the book to my ebook reader in seconds from the comfort of my sofa.[/citation]

Pretty soon you'll be able to download your Starbucks too.

cmdprompt

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
[citation][nom]fracture[/nom]Pretty soon you'll be able to download your Starbucks too.[/citation]

My God, that would be cool :) Teleportation via XML.... sorry inside joke where I work...

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
@ euphoria_MK

The second version will have a camera and hopefully USB and a real OS.

You may want to look at the archos 9 or an Asus 9 inch touchscreen netbook. The Asus comes with a real hideaway keyboard and a real OS. You could use it as a reader if that is what you are buying it for.

I get a kick out of people that buy apple products just because it's from Apple when there are clearly better choices for less money.

It's like a cult, once you are turned into an itard you will defend Apple no matter what logic would dictate.

Apple would have had a winner with this product if they gave it a usb port and OSX.

The only good thing about the ipad is that it got me thinking of buying a new media player for air travel.

aethm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Wahoo... lets jump for joy! Wait... I'm still not buying one, or anything made by apple for that matter.

abowlofsoda

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
I'm getting an iPad. Putting in my preorder and selling my laptop.

I don't need HDMI output. I don't need USB ports. I don't need eink or whatever the hell that is as I doubt I'll be reading books on it. I don't need a large hard drive.

I certainly do not need a camera in it. I have a camera and another in a my cell phone.

I am however disappointed that this thing won't have Flash for the web. Is this to keep people from playing web games?

I believe everyones concentrating on what it can't do and missing the whole point on what it CAN do.

Its okay- given enough time after its released, you might figure it out!

abowlofsoda

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
>>> I get a kick out of people that buy apple products just because it's from Apple when there are clearly better choices for less money.

I'm listening..

Please list the better choices for less money

ultameca

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
People that can't see themselves using the iPad lack creativity.

The first thing I'm going to do when I get mine is lay naked in bed on my back and read toms hardware :) no more tiny iPod screen for me.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
Two better choices for less money are.

Asus Eee PC T91MT Black w/ Atom Z520, 1GB, 32GB SSD, 802.11 b/g/n, 8.9in Multi Touch WSVGA, Win 7 Home Premium $549 cnd

and Archos 9 $549

Most tablet PCs are much better than the ipad. Like I said, OS and USB away from being great. As it is, it is a big itouch, which is fine if that is what you want. If Blackberry came out with a 9 inch blackberry, I wouldn't be selling my laptop to buy one.

The next gen Asus netbooks will have 10-14 hour battery life with real computer features.

I have about 4 months before going on vacation. It only took me 2 minutes to figure out that the ipad was not the best value for a media player. The next gen netbooks should be out by May for sure.

nicklasd87

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Euphoria_MK[/nom]Yeah I know... I always wait for 2nd gen products, but I am quite tempted on this one....[/citation]

That's why you're an iDiot

Status
Not open for further replies.