Official: Apple's iPad On Sale April 3rd

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]Euphoria_MK[/nom].It's funny that all of you MS fan-boys had the same negative claims when the iPod came out and now each of you owns an iPod... Talking about being a hypocrite, ha? [/citation]
Umm.. what? I own a Creative ZEN X-Fi and so does quite a bit of my friends.

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
[citation][nom]cyprod[/nom]You know Euphoria, pull your smug head out of your @$$. This thing is fine as a video player and web browser, but will make a terrible ebook reader, and here's why.I don't know what you do for a living, but I'm an engineer. Engineers read for a living. In a given day I read ~100 pages. All of that is distributed via PDF, word or some other digital format. After a couple of hours of reading on a backlit display, it feels rather as if somebody has jammed needles into the back of my eyes. I'm not readong on a CRT, it's an LCD. In fact, if I have lots of reading to do, I print it out to save the inevitable headache of reading on a back lit display. Not to mention, paper is visible in sunlight, unlike a back lit display. And all of these reasons are exactly why e-ink was invented. Because for reading and general purpose mobile viewing, basically anything other than indoors or night time viewing, back lit displays SUCK.[/citation]
That's what I've been saying for ...well, forever!

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
If you cant read it for hours without hurting your eyes than I dont consider this an e-reader. It clearly does not have an e-ink screen. So if it does not have the same readability capability of an e-ink screen it is just a big itouch.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]Umm.. what? I own a Creative ZEN X-Fi and so does quite a bit of my friends.[/citation]
ZEN X-Fi woo! got the 16GB Wi-Fi one myself, LOVE it :)

onsiteone

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
Call me old school, but i'm not into this whole ebook reader stuff. And this is all the iPad is, right? If there's a great book i want, i look it up on amazon and buy it used - i'm a cheapo. then i can read it in bed or in the park and the paper-book weighs less than a netbook and has battery life of infinity.

If you are into the ebook thing.. then the iPad may be a better alternative than the existing ebook readers. but in the name of holy moses, don't get an ipad as your replacement to a netbook or computer! at the very least the ipad is an accessory to a already-existing dependable computer that you already have.

smeker

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
[citation][nom]nicklasd87[/nom]That's why you're an iDiot[/citation]
And you are just some spoiled nerdy fat kid writing tough words out of his mom's bedroom :)

ultameca

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
I don't see how those other options are better?

yes the new EEE has 14 hour life and a better cpu in it but it's a plastic piece of shit, maybe it will be more useful than my Asus EEE door stopper I bought when they first came out.

I still use the first gen ipod for reading on the web and checking my email etc. can't wait to replace it with an iPad though, the bigger screen will come in handy as I said in my previous post :)

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
@ ultameca

Your post speaks volumes. You're comparing a computer to an ipod.

Is a computer better than an ipod?

The ipad should have been a tablet PC running OSX. Instead they made the ipod bigger. It's a sad day for apple.

You should google

Status
Not open for further replies.