Official: Google Announces the Nexus One

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecnovaec

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
finally I can fill my iphone with 9mm holes like I've wanted to since I bought it! Although it's a tough choice between the nexus and nokia n900

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
It is also confirmed that Verizon will get the phone too later on. To me though, I don't see what all the hype is for. Engadget reviewed the phone and it's basically your average HTC smartphone. New and powerful it may be, but nothing vastly better than what's available now. iPhone and Droid don't need to be worried yet.

darkknight22

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
Nice but I don't see anything to write home about. Maybe it's just because I'm a tactile button kind of guy. It looks the same as every other touch phone these days.

What I am a huge fan of is the option to buy off contract. I may not ever end up doing it because it's a huge sum of money, but I find it a huge slap in the face to Apple's closed door attitude and that's OK by me.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]doomtomb[/nom]It is also confirmed that Verizon will get the phone too later on. To me though, I don't see what all the hype is for. Engadget reviewed the phone and it's basically your average HTC smartphone. New and powerful it may be, but nothing vastly better than what's available now. iPhone and Droid don't need to be worried yet.[/citation]

I mentioned Verizon in the article and I agree. Nice as it is, it's a HTC-built phone running Android. Nothing new there. One thing that's starting to bug me is that HTC phones are all starting to look the same.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
pretty nifty text to speech that includes the ability to add punctuation just by saying "period" or "comma."
Call me a nitpicker, but, if I say something to my phone, it's "speech to text", not "text to speech". It's a very nice feature indeed though. Speech-to-text engines are way more precise than they used to be when it took more time correcting your dictation than actually writing the stuff.

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Under spec'd storage, and unimpressive when compared to a normal HTC. Just don't see this being a hit in the least.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
crap... specs looked awesome up until the 512meg... that SERIOUSLY sucks and is a fatal flaw for me. What the hell were they thinking?

16gig is MINIMUM storage for my needs... 32 or more is what I'd really want to have.

rsud

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
512MB for app storage?!?!?!

Is this a joke (or is this thing a joke)?!?!

On my iTouch I have 32GB for app storage (or music), same on iPhone.

Who designed this? Someone out of 1999?

Can a memory card be put in? But the memory cards didn't hold apps last decade. Is this thing any different?

Confused Stu

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
Those of you laughing at the 512MB storage compared to your Apple products, do try to remember it has a MicroSDHC slot and looks like it'll come with a 4GB card included. Currently 32GB MicroSD cards are available, with 64GB not rumoured to be too far away.

Apple may not believe you should have the choice to swap memory cards to increase your storage, but that doesn't mean the rest of world has to lock things down that way too. :)

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
if it gets rooted and with a custom ROM that allows to install apps on microSD card, I'm getting one...
Hopefully it won't take too long for the developers to do it.

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
[citation][nom]dogofwars[/nom]We don't have it in Canada unfortunately[/citation]
It will probably pop up on websites and eBay...

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
The MicroSD slot helps a lot... but applications can only be installed to the internal memory, which may be an issue depending on how many apps you want to install.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]rsud[/nom]512MB for app storage?!?!?!Is this a joke (or is this thing a joke)?!?!On my iTouch I have 32GB for app storage (or music), same on iPhone.Who designed this? Someone out of 1999?Can a memory card be put in? But the memory cards didn't hold apps last decade. Is this thing any different?[/citation]
Yes, unlike your iTouch/Iphone you can get a microSD card to store the extra apps.

@editors: It's 512MB RAM *AND* 512MB Flash for (OS) and 4GB microSD for programs,etc.
http://www.google.com/phone/static/en_US-nexusone_tech_specs.html

acecombat

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]Toms[/nom]and pretty nifty speech to text that includes the ability to add punctuation just by saying "period" or "comma."[/citation]
All good until you need to use the word period...
Translating "I don't want to see you again period!"

Status
Not open for further replies.