Official: Microsoft's Kins Are Back in Verizon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Microsoft should look up Einstein's definition of insanity.

Seems to me that they made X amount of Kin phones, but sold less than X Kins, so now they're just trying to liquidate them. But who knows, I'm probably wrong.

reconspartan

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]Microsoft should look up Einstein's definition of insanity.Seems to me that they made X amount of Kin phones, but sold less than X Kins, so now they're just trying to liquidate them. But who knows, I'm probably wrong.[/citation]
That's what it looks like to me.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]Microsoft should look up Einstein's definition of insanity.Seems to me that they made X amount of Kin phones, but sold less than X Kins, so now they're just trying to liquidate them. But who knows, I'm probably wrong.[/citation]
Precisely. They're taking their piles of failed crap products, and trying to sell it again as something fresh and new. Microsoft fails at mobile devices. And they keep proving it time and time again.

vant

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
It is the Kin's fault. LOOK AT THE PHONE.

It's a product failure being brought back to life to fail again. Someone at Microsoft just doesn't get it.

festerovic

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
what kind of lame plan options are:
1mb for 1.99 =1 mb/$1
5mb for 9.99 =1 mb/$1
5gb for 29.99 =166 mb/$1

Not very good scaling :) , and the first two "plans" are what you would use up in a ten minutes of web browsing.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]miloo[/nom]kin phone looks like a gay phone ~ no offend XD[/citation]

If you aren't trying to offend anyone, your best bet is probably to avoid saying things that are offensive. Just a thought.

cablechewer

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
I suppose it was either this or destroy the entire inventory of phones. If they get them moving they go from complete failure to minor failure/major embarrassment. If it works somebody at each company will get huge kudos when their review rolls around because they will make the failure far less expensive.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]festerovic[/nom]what kind of lame plan options are:1mb for 1.99 =1 mb/$15mb for 9.99 =1 mb/$15gb for 29.99 =166 mb/$1Not very good scaling , and the first two "plans" are what you would use up in a ten minutes of web browsing.[/citation]
There's a typo. The 9.99 plan should say 25MB. This is straight from Verizon's website.

Anyway, it's still not a good price for those plans (the big boys always cornhole you on data plans). The 9.99 plan *should* give you a couple hundred megs, and the 29.99 plan should be unlimited - even if they have to throttle you a bit after 5GB. But, in theory you should be able to do almost everything you need to while on WiFi, and just get the 25MB plan for the occasional email. Again, it should still be 200+ megs for that 9.99 plan!

b23h

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
I'm not sure I like the style, but if you want to prove you're an idiot you've done a good job with the "totally gay" comments.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
$220 for the Kin TWOm off contract actually seems pretty cheap to me.
The only thing I'm left wondering is if we'll be able to hack Android to Windows Phone 7 onto it.
$30 for a 5GB/month plan, I'd jmup all over that. Not quite as cheap here...
The Kon Onem may be ugly as hell, but it has decent hardware (though a low resolution screen) for only $120 off contract.
I actually dare to say these are phones that I'm considering (as my plans for a $800 phone are long gone).

The Kin One looks more like a PDA than a phone though.

mrmez

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Its rubbish.
Even if you offer free rubbish, nobody wants it.

As said the data is stupidly expensive. Here in AUS, for $69/month i get...
-iPhone 4 32Gb
-Unlimited free sms/mms to any network
-Unlimited free calls to same and sister network
-2Gb data (no extra charge for tethering)
-$650 for everything else

abhijeet1982

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
even rebirth will not make difference, still sucks, just launched because something has to be done, is it something microsoft aims for apple or just passing time (i think the hardware is of microsoft)
less hope of survival, good luck

G

*Facepalm*

I really... really... hope they're just trying to get rid of these phones rather than trying to find a market them... again.

Status
Not open for further replies.