Question Offloading apps - why do they make it so hard?

soubeagi

Honorable
Nov 22, 2015
First off, let's establish that I'm weird. I know I'm weird, so comments on how weird I am won't change me or what I want to do.

Second, I currently have more than 1,300 apps on my iPhone (down from 1,500), and I want to make space for more. I've looked at the "offload apps" feature, but I find it extremely difficult to use. I know which apps I want to offload and which I want to keep, but the iPhone makes this into a chore, with everything oriented toward it deciding for itself. I'd like a way to say "I know this app uses a lot of memory, but I want to keep it anyway" - or the opposite, "I know this app is small, but I want to offload it anyway." I can tap and hold on an app to delete it, but that menu doesn't include "offload" - and I think it should.

I also know that posting this here is unlikely to get any useful responses, and certainly won't get Apple to improve this feature, but I needed to vent, and the signup procedure for Apple's own forums is way too annoying. Thank you for reading my screed.

soubeagi

Honorable
Nov 22, 2015
More venting: If I accidentally tap on the icon for an offloaded app, I get a dialog explaining that the app needs to be reinstalled, but this dialog only has an "OK" button. No! When reinstalling an app would cause three other apps that I use more often to get uninstalled - or worse, when reinstalling would use my last gig of memory and thereby put everything into "molasses mode", then no, reinstalling is not "OK"!