Ok how long can a memory card last

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

danfifepsu31

Estimable
Feb 22, 2014
of a memory card, what if I leave the pictures on a memory card for years? What will happen, will it make me loose the pictures forever?

danfifepsu31

Estimable
Feb 22, 2014

I checked my memory card and its OK but how much longer?

again if the memory card decays what work will need to be done to get the pics back?

danfifepsu31

Estimable
Feb 22, 2014

what depends on how long it can last. and for the files broken what will the files look like?

danfifepsu31

Estimable
Feb 22, 2014

what aer oyu saying, when I last looked at the memory card 3 days ago the pictures WERE FINE. but what will the pics look like when broken. tahts better than no pics.

I WANT MY PICS BACK!!!! I cant take them off the card!!!!!!!! BEst b uy said they cannot be taken off and only the SD card will read it.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Why haven't you taken those files off the SD card?

danfifepsu31

Estimable
Feb 22, 2014

they wont get off! when I Tried to plug it in the camera from a usb and the comp wouldnt recognize them. best buy said I cant get them off (The geek squad). I AM SO SICK OF THIs, when something goes wrong wit ha cell phone, camera, laptop I get nothing but guesses when I Try to get help.

danfifepsu31

Estimable
Feb 22, 2014

what if they are in raw format and I used nixon. ARe the files stuck on there forever?????

how come I have memory cards that still work 3 years later?

USAFRet

Illustrious

I have some SmartMedia cards that are almost 18 years old, and still work fine.
I've had other cards that have died within 6 months.

But I don't think I've ever left pictures on a camera card longer than a week or two. Those things are temporary storage.

Get your files off that card, by what ever means necessary. If you can't get them off....well...they're gone.

I didn't say that they wouldn't work. However, if you leave them without using them in anything, they do lose charge. It's random.

Get Nikon's (I'm assuming) software for decoding the RAW files. Or any one of a number of other utilities. Lots of photographers shoot in RAW.

There wouldn't be much point in taking the photos if you couldn't use them, would there?

danfifepsu31

Estimable
Feb 22, 2014

what do you mean they are gone? they exist. and if I cant get them off, what help do I Go to get them off. what do I Do if I cant get the cards off?

danfifepsu31

Estimable
Feb 22, 2014
no but what if it doesnt work? The pictures SHOW in the camera. they cant be gone. they couldnt be unless the card was dropped in water or caught on fire.

Also what happens when one formats a memory card. how do they get the data back then?

danfifepsu31

Estimable
Feb 22, 2014
when does it catch thumbnails and of my pics I Saw them on the mnemory card in the camera 3 days ago and they are still there BUT I WANT MY PICS OFF THE MEMORY CARD. can someone help me!!!!! All I get for help from places like Best buy is nothing but guesses. What if a card reader doesnt work????????????????

can the card being a nixon have something to do with it???? I WANT MY PICS BACK

when the card decays what will the pics look like when I Try to retrieve them?

I need help other than just guesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS