Ok how long can a memory card last

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

danfifepsu31

Estimable
Feb 22, 2014
of a memory card, what if I leave the pictures on a memory card for years? What will happen, will it make me loose the pictures forever?

ARRGH! READ THE F***ing POST!

Then it depends on WHY it doesn't work! WHICH WE DON'T KNOW UNTIL YOU TRY!

IF it's PHYSICALLY DAMAGED (silicon fractured), then it's SCREWED. Can't be done.

Would it be an abuse of Mod powers to temp-ban you to give you a few days to try something instead of posting about it?

(Sorry if this came across as quite rude, but you really don't seem to be reading the posts and sound like a stuck record)

danfifepsu31

Estimable
Feb 22, 2014

I was just worried even if I Try something it wont work, as well I want my data off the card.

should I ignrioe the stuff Best buy says as its always something scary Best Buy geek Squad says. when my lens jammed in a camera they said you will have to buy a new one. my lens unjammed in a minute.

danfifepsu31

Estimable
Feb 22, 2014

why ignore best buy as what experiences have you all had with them? whats the chances it wont work? But then the pictures are clearly visible on the camera.

Can it being nikon have somethign to do with this problem?

I don't even live in the same country as a best buy. However, so called 'geek zones' tend to be very low paid staff who don't know much, and whose job is to sell you more kit.

FINALLY! Yes, you took the photos in a format known as RAW or NEF. This can ONLY be read by Nikon software, as I stated above multiple times.

danfifepsu31

Estimable
Feb 22, 2014

what next?

but then anothert memory card I used in a nixon camera I was only able to upload all but 20 pics to the computer as the last 20 wouldnt show. after so many pics taken the camera would SLOWLY capture the pics, is there something wrong with Nixons?

No. Something wrong with how you're using it, though.

Somewhere in the settings it should allow you to choose between JPEGs and RAW/NEFs. If it's on RAW you can do more in post-processing, but need special software to read it. JPEGs can be read on anything, but you can't do as much. The photos that you could upload would have been taken when the camera was on JPEG mode.

The number of pictures on the card shouldn't make much difference as to how long it takes. Should still be able to take 2-3 per second easily, on a mid-high end DSLR.

What camera?

danfifepsu31

Estimable
Feb 22, 2014
I want my pictures taken off!

NO one knows how to help me, all it is is nothing but guesses.

the memory cards I bought at Target or WAlmart so how long will they last, they are kodiak or Sandisk.

Here is the thing, you have done nothing that anyone has suggested so far correct?

There are two pages of you just going in circles asking what are the chances or this and how long cards should last without doing anything to try to get your pictures.

Until you do something, you pictures will stay in the same limbo they are in now. If you want someone to take your hand and help you do what was suggested, you need to find a tech local to you.

If you post again without any details about what was done so far (try the software from Nikon or an external card ready or take the card to a place that prints out photos), your threads will be deleted as they are wasting everyone time that responds trying to help.

danfifepsu31

Estimable
Feb 22, 2014

if I try something whats the chances they are gone forever? they can b eseen on the card.

Are you ignoring the replies you get from everyone or just not understanding them? You have a good chance the pictures are fine or at least can be recovered. By good I mean more than 50/50 since the card is usable in the camera.

I suggest you find a photo studio or something and have them try to read it. They should be experts in getting files from cards without messing them up further or saying things like "nothing can be done" just because they don't know how to do it.

If all you do is continue to ask the same question, your chances of getting the pictures are 0.

USAFRet

Illustrious
The indicator needle on the Probability of Success meter remains at 0, and is starting to rust from non-use.

Here's what you do.

1. Obtain an SD card reader.
2. Plug that into your PC
3. Remove the SD card from the camera
4. Insert it into the SD card reader
5. Whatever files that are there, copy them to a folder on the PC
6. Attempt to open them with the above mentioned ViewNX software, mentioned here and above.
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Imaging-Software/NVNX/ViewNX.html

Or, take it to a local camera store and have them try. Not BestBuy.

If it works, it works. If it doesn't, oh well...

danfifepsu31

Estimable
Feb 22, 2014

I still think it may be the camera model, as its a NIXON. what do you mean better than 50 /50. I Want them retrieved.

ITs I cannot trust any service, ANY, it will be nothing but guesses etc. or say tehy are gone when they are not. like Best buy saying my camera is broken when the LENS JAMMED! when they unjammed an hour later.

remember I said in a nixon camera, I Was able to get all but 50 pics off another memory card as the last 50 WOULD NOT SHOW ON THE COMPUTER. why did that happen as well???? hmmmmm answer that part?

danfifepsu31

Estimable
Feb 22, 2014

I meant Nikon, can that be the problem??? like how one time all but 50 pics showed on the computer and the rest didnt show on the computer. how did thatr happen a couple times after this I cant get the pics off the 8 GB card

what if I fill up a 50 GB memroy card?

[/quote] remember I said in a nixon camera, I Was able to get all but 50 pics off another memory card as the last 50 WOULD NOT SHOW ON THE COMPUTER. why did that happen as well???? hmmmmm answer that part?
[/quote]

Such things can happen unexpectedly. I use Nikon bodies and lenses exclusively and for over 30 years. I have had only one situation where my CF card (not SD) corrupted some pictures and these pictures were the most important ones on that assignment.

The camera settings were not altered, and every picture showed up fine on the LCD screen immediately after the picture was taken. Out of about 400 pictures taken in the Czech Republic, about 20 of them were corrupted. No settings were changed and the ones just before and just after were fine. The two sequences that turned out bad were at a cemetery and at a park where I was taking pictures of the first Prime Minister of CZ at the request of their family.

After that the picture of the same personage riding a horse (a 4 feet x 4 feet painting) at his former residence also turned out corrupted. Pictures immediately before and immediately after (within minutes) turned out fine.

Out of about 8,000 digital pictures on Nikons these pictures were the only ones that were corrupted; the most important ones. Nikon DSLR and Sandisk Compact Flash (CF) cards.

How can this be explained? Supernatural? Yes, and I am willing to stake my life on it! There is no scientific explanation for this phenomena. I am well versed in probability theories and believe that there is a greater subjective probability for the earth to get hit by a major meteor than for something like this to happen!

I plan to go back to CZ and first visit and pay my respects at the cemetery, and then ask permission before I take any pictures.

What I have explained is a classic case of pictures corrupted without any explanation for it.

danfifepsu31

Estimable
Feb 22, 2014

what happened to your corrupted pics, how can they be repaired, how did it happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.