Ok how long can a memory card last

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

danfifepsu31

Estimable
Feb 22, 2014
of a memory card, what if I leave the pictures on a memory card for years? What will happen, will it make me loose the pictures forever?

danfifepsu31

Estimable
Feb 22, 2014

what are you saying, sine hte pics are shown when I look at them in the camera, whats the chances of recovery?

what happened to your corrupted pics, how can they be repaired, how did it happen?

Don't know what caused the problem. They were corrupted when my pics were taken. That means that the files were incomplete when the pics were taken. Cannot be retrieved.

Much more than known Physics were in play in this instance. Unknown!

USAFRet

Illustrious

So since you've been screwing around with this for 3 weeks or so, have you actually tried plugging the SD card into a card reader?

danfifepsu31

Estimable
Feb 22, 2014
what happened to your corrupted pics, how can they be repaired, how did it happen?

Don't know what caused the problem. They were corrupted when my pics were taken. That means that the files were incomplete when the pics were taken. Cannot be retrieved.

Much more than known Physics were in play in this instance. Unknown!

why do you say cannot be retrieved? whare you saying? what cuases corrupted pics?

danfifepsu31

Estimable
Feb 22, 2014

i have taken pics on low batteries before and nothings happened. how can a card be a bad card?

USAFRet

Illustrious

I've had low batteries cause weird color problems. A 'bad card' can easily cause saving issues.

From your original 'problem'.....have you recovered those files? If not, why not?

danfifepsu31

Estimable
Feb 22, 2014

cause all places like Best buy say is it cannot be done. whats wrong with my files when the computer wont recognize them but the nixon camera can. whatll a card reader do?

USAFRet

Illustrious

:heink:
Why do you continue with this? Are you trolling? Or just obstinate?

Take the SD card out of the camera.
Put in an SD card reader attached to the computer
See what happens.

If it works, it works. If it doesn't, oh well.

danfifepsu31

Estimable
Feb 22, 2014

if it doesnt work then how else do I Get the pictures off? Thats what I am asking. I always get nothing but guesses by places like BEST BUY.

for a memory card I said I have one thats 3 years old and the data is still on it as if it was new, surprised?

Either try what has been suggested and report back the results or stop asking "what if" questions if you are not going to at least attempt the suggestions that have been offered. As was stated by USAFRet "Until you actually try something, it will never, ever work."

johnjohns

Estimable
Mar 23, 2014

Officially there are a limited number of reads/writes. Unofficially, it will fail when you least expect it. Bring two to recordings and always back up after filming.

Here is a fix for the SD card. Take it out of the camera. Place it in a airtight box and bury it in the yard. Write a note in your will for your grandchildren in 80 years to dig up the box and have them see if it works. This way you no longer have to wonder what will possibly happen if you do something you did not try and it does not work and the chances of getting pictures out of it is the exact same as we have now.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone flat out refuse to try anything aside from asking the same question over and over "what IF it does not work". The answer is if you can't get the picture out of the card, you can't get the pictures out of the card.

danfifepsu31

Estimable
Feb 22, 2014
I checked the memory card in the camera 5 minutes ago and the pictures are still visible on the camera, but one question, how come it took a few seconds longer after pressng view for the pictures to show than other memory cards, cause it has a lot of data? Does this mean that the pictures are in danger of being gone????????

what makes me ask this is best buy saying , I WONT get them off.

danfifepsu31

Estimable
Feb 22, 2014

Ok thanks for saying that. no wonder why they are having troubkle

AGain I looked at the pics in the memory card and they are still there and how come it took seconds longer for the pics to show after pressing the view button, was it because there is so much data on there that it took that long or was it that the memory card is deterorirating? Does this mean my pics will be dead soon because it took seconds longer for the camera to show the pics?

Status
Not open for further replies.