Old computer restored

Zenking9497

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016
I posted not too long ago about my laptop and how I could fix it and about the problems I was having and after some great advice that actually led to me fixing the computer, I now have a working laptop that had crashed out and sat for 3 years untouched, as stated the computer works now but I do have some problems after the restore, at random times and mostly when trying to run large programs such as giants editor and installing new tech I get multiple BSOD crashes and always have to end up removing worm viruses and such before it starts working normally, also with several programs I get a GL_ARB_get_program_binary_not supported errors, I was wondering if anyone knew anything about my new problems as I cannot successfully fully remove these errors myself, any help would be appreciated, my most common BSOD SCREEN states KERNAL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR the computer has received the stop command from error to protect hardware and so on and so forth

Zenking9497

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016

Idk exactly how old the laptop is but it is a Toshiba Satellite C855-S5214, I got the computer in late 2011 and had it for maybe 2 years and it crashed and wouldn't do anything and at the time I was too young to know how to fix it, inevitable that's what I had to do from the recovery partition on the HDD was a fresh install, and to my best knowledge it's a Intel pentium B960 2.30 ghz 4gb RAM 640 gb HD

The_Man12

Estimable
Mar 22, 2014
Okay when it crashed, what exactly happened? Did Windows just become corrupted, wouldn't POST anymore, etc.

Hm... Download MemTest86+ , boot from it, and let it run overnight or if possible 24 hours. If errors pop up, then most likely RAM is bad.

The laptop is pretty old anyway, are you planning on using it for daily use?

Zenking9497

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016

I'd like to, I joined a modding group for a pc game and I'd like to be able to run the game and my modding software, and when it originally crashed all it would do is try to load system files and then it would power off, I completely forgot about the pc for about 3 years after that and after some time acquired a hp windows 8 little 20gb ssd but it wasn't powerful enough to support my needs out of a computer so I ended up selling it, and after finding my old Toshiba with a last ditch effort to fix it ended up successfully repairing it, at least enough to log in and use it from a fresh install of Windows 7, and I have plans to get new RAM for the computer I just didn't know if that could be the problem, and I've ran every test and diagnostic tool I can get ahold of and every one come back with no errors, the built in memtest ran with no errors, I did run chkdsk /f and it had to delete and restore a bunch of indexed entries from the disk though

The_Man12

Estimable
Mar 22, 2014
This sounds fishy to me. Anyway a Pentium B960 isn't very powerful. Let's try this. Download a Windows 7 ISO, or a Windows 8.1 or 10, whichever one you like; put it on a DVD or flash drive and install Windows from scratch. Not recovery or anything like that. Make sure you format the HDD and delete all the partitions on it and then make new ones. This is just to make sure it isn't a Windows problem.

If the computer is still giving you problems after reinstalling Windows then I would bet RAM. I didn't quite get that last response, so did you run MemTest86+ or not? How long did you run it? It looks like this; https://www.google.com/search?q=memtest86%2B&newwindow=1&safe=strict&biw=1366&bih=667&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjE4berl8DOAhVHVyYKHaS6CkgQ_AUIBygC#imgrc=shRi8mlY-SdBmM%3A

Zenking9497

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016

I didn't run memtest86+ I did however run the memory diagnostic tool already on the pc and it ran for like 7 hours before finishing the scan, and the pc runs the game I create mods for perfectly with no problems, I just have the kernel data error and GL_ARB_get_program_binary_not supported issue, would installed Microsoft framework net 4.5 or higher cause an issue, cause I installed it with the Intel driver update utility 2.6

Zenking9497

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016

I uninstalled the Intel driver update utility 2.6 and Microsoft net framework 4.6 and it hasn't crashed yet, can you tell me how much data a clean install would need on a WiFi network

Zenking9497

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016

The version pre-installed on my laptop is win7 64bit home premium, can you tell me what service pack 1 of 2 means it pops up when I boot windows in directory services repair mode

ffg7

Splendid
windows 7 only has service pack 1 but does need sp2 because of about a gig of windows updates still to download with sp1 already installed. does your windows come with sp1 installed or do you have to still install sp1 once windows is installed?

Zenking9497

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016

Okay let me start by saying I apologize if my responses seem all over the place and sometimes unintelligible, I'm going through emotional drama as I'm trying to fix this computer and I can't seem to focus all that well, and I also apologize if this is long but let's start close to the beginning, I restored the laptop and tried to update my graphics driver with a "trusted download" from the secure Intel website and since getting the computer to work it's been crashing randomly, I uninstalled the graphics update and framework also in the download and it's been working better, I've ran all scans possible and it all comes back with no errors and everything is up to date I can't figure out why is crashes randomly and why I can't update obviously outdated software without it causing the computer to crash more often

Zenking9497

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016

Its a 64bit and sp 1 is installed, and I bought the laptop at Walmart in late 2011 without any recovery disks or anything like that, so it came from the recovery partition already on the laptop but it's the version that was installed on the computer in 2011 when the computer was new

Zenking9497

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016

Thank you for your time and help and any help and assistance in the future, I really appreciate it, not many people would do that too easy these days

The_Man12

Estimable
Mar 22, 2014
A Windows 7 ISO can be up to 3.2GB more or less. A Windows 10 ISO is just about the same. You only need internet when downloading the ISO and doing Windows Updates. If I was you I'd get Windows 10.

I've seen that Windows 10 deals with drivers a lot better these days. I've seen some laptops were even a clean install doesn't require much driver updating. If you would like you can try that. :)