Old Equipment with a New TV

Bell2001

Estimable
Nov 29, 2015
I have an old DVR and an old Panasonic Tube TV. This has worked fine for me until the TV died today. Now I find myself in need of, and completely lost to, a new TV. I know nothing of the connections for new TVs, or practically anything else. I want all my old electronics (DVR, DVD, VCR) to connect to a new TV, but don't know where to start, or what to look for to get it all to work together like it does now... can someone help?

Update (more details):
I have a Phillips DVR with hard drive, a Pioneer DVD, and a JVC VCR. From the DVR, Red, Green, Blue Cable to TV in Component Video Input AND Red, White, Yellow cable connected to Audio R & L. For the DVD, S-Video Cable AND Red, White, & Yellow Cable to another Audio R & L with the Yellow in a Video port. For the VCR, Cable connector to a splicer, splicer to the TV. The only connections not used on my old Panasonic 25" 4:3 TV are the To Audio (R, L, Amp) and the front connections (HPJ, Video 3, and Audio In R/L).

for starters, you might want to list how you had all of it hooked up originally.

my guess would be via composite (yellow/red/white) or svideo although some may have had component connections as well.

almost all new tvs use hdmi although some still have component or composite jacks which might be the best route for you to take to connect all the old stuff up. in this case you would likely need a component/composite or svideo type switch box to cycle through which of the inputs you want to use.

there are also combination style converter/switches which output hdmi directly you could use http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Multi-functional-Converter-Surround-VHD-MS8X1/dp/B004K61QAS

where to start would be to list all the devices you want to connect and how you have them hooked up.

Bell2001

Estimable
Nov 29, 2015

I have a Phillips DVR with hard drive, a Pioneer DVD, and a JVC VCR. From the DVR, Red, Green, Blue Cable to TV in Component Video Input AND Red, White, Yellow cable connected to Audio R & L. For the DVD, S-Video Cable AND Red, White, & Yellow Cable to another Audio R & L with the Yellow in a Video port. For the VCR, Cable connector to a splicer, splicer to the TV. The only connections not used on my old Panasonic 25" 4:3 TV are the To Audio (R, L, Amp) and the front connections (HPJ, Video 3, and Audio In R/L).

for the dvr... why would you have the yellow from composite video and the rgb from component connected at the same time (which were you using or do you not know)

for the dvd i would ask the same. either you would be using svideo or the yellow from composite not both. i would ask if it has any other connectors available.

for the vcr, you're using a coaxial connector? does it have any other connections other than that available?

if all devices supported composite video and you did not mind a slight drop in quality, something like this would work http://www.amazon.com/Optimal-Shop-Composite-Switcher-Selector/dp/B00R9MUJHQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448836359&sr=8-1&keywords=multiple+input+switcher if your tv had composite jacks. some tvs still do but you need to check.

likewise, if you can find a tv with svideo this http://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-28750-Composite-Selector/dp/B0032ANC8M/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1448836482&sr=8-23&keywords=tv+source+switch would work as a switchbox if all your sources have svideo or composite. as before, the tv would need to support those particular jacks for it to be useful.

all-in-one style switchboxes such as what i linked previously can handle most any old format and convert it to hdmi output however is rather expensive.

you can also find component->hdmi, composite->hdmi, svideo+composite audio->hdmi and other such conversion boxes although having one for each source would add up in cost.

also of concern, more and more tvs are not putting older type connections on them forcing users to upgrade equipment or invest in pricey conversion boxes. cheap models often may have only a single hdmi input (sometimes two) while more expensive models might have a few more options. in such cases you might be forced to go with either an all in one type unit or some kind of switch with another box to translate signal to hdmi.

a few options at least, what route you would need to take depends on if you can get a common type of connection across your devices and what tvs you can afford support in terms of old connections.

Bell2001

Estimable
Nov 29, 2015

To be honest, I don't know which cable from the DVD or the DVR is "working". I wondered the same thing when I went to look at the connections... why do I have two connections from the DVR and two from the DVD? I may have connected cables until something worked (I got a solid picture). The DVR does have an S-Video In port, an S-Video Out port, and HDMI Out port on the back... USB & DV-In with another set of Audio/Video connections (Yellow, White, Red). The VCR also has two S-Video connections on the back, and S-Video with another group of Video/Audio hookups on the front. The DVD has a coaxial also.

So, basically, I will have to purchase a new TV and Selector Switch? Can the selector be controlled with a remote? The TV will be costly enough (considering I wouldn't even be buying a TV right now if my old one didn't just stop working on me today.), I don't want to spend a lot of additional money on a "Selector Switch". I don't even know what TV to purchase, but do know I don't want to spend a whole lot of money and won't be buying a bunch of new things for it.

My TV is about 15 years old (just based on the year I purchased it, not when it first came out, which I do not know, but it was fairly new then).

given the dvr has hdmi out, i would ignore that and use hdmi out for it. all modern tvs have hdmi.

this leaves you with the vcr and dvd to worry about. unfortunately unless you find a tv with the inputs you need (they are phasing them out) you would need an adapter.

some switches may have a remote but most have push buttons.

new dvd players can be had for around $30 or so with hdmi output, and with the cost of adapters its certainly worth considering.

as for vcr, not sure what you would do there other than getting an adapter if you didnt get one of the switches and have a tv with analog inputs.

if the tv you buy only has digital hdmi inputs, you really do not have much choice .

you could always buy a used or older model tv (if you can find one for cheap) but used products can always fail and you would be left in the same mess as now. your call.

Bell2001

Estimable
Nov 29, 2015

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I may have to give in on a new DVD player anyway because it has been temperamental as of late. I do really like the one I have (the options it has, like the zoom feature), but...

I take it the new TVs don't have a "Cable Connector". If not, then I suppose I MAY be able to figure out a way to connect the VCR to the DVR and set the DVR to whatever channel, or source it may have available (like the E1, E2, E3, or USB "extra" channels it has). I could look into trying something like that too... if it will work. Basically, I would be watching VCR movies through the DVR and the DVR would output to the TV. Do you suppose something like that could work?

Seriously though, thank you for your help and advise. Next challenge... weeding through the new TVs to pick one out... YIKES!

Bell2001

Estimable
Nov 29, 2015

Yes, coax. I was thinking of going with Samsung. I saw some around $150 to under $300 and know they typically have a pretty good picture. All I can do now is look and see. I could order one online, but would rather know what the picture looks like before purchasing. Knowing now that Element and Insignia are probably not good options, I will keep this in mind too.

Again, thank you so very much!! :D

Bell2001

Estimable
Nov 29, 2015

Sure, give me some tips on TV purchases, but I am not spending a lot of money.

I intend to stay below $200, but have an absolute maximum of $300 (not a penny over and this is not the goal I want to shoot for either). I went to Walmart today and browsed the TVs. It looks like a 32" or a 40" is most likely the price range for me. Plus, I don't need anything too big. My 4:3 TV is/was 25". I swear the screen for my old TV is larger than any of the widescreens, but I suppose that is because (if I remember right) they measure from one corner to the other. I am not really a fan of the wide screen TV at all, but don't really have a choice these days for new TV purchases.

Bell2001

Estimable
Nov 29, 2015

LOL - Well, thanks anyway. :)

since he bailed, a few more words to think over..

as i said, for your budget you may want to look into vizio, or if you can afford a model from samsung, sony or lg. at 32" size you might want to be aware you will find both 1080p and 720p sets. if you ever plan to get high def content, going 1080p may be beneficial though if you dont you could save money by not going 1080p.

as i said, try to avoid the super low end brands if you can, and if you read reviews on the model try to pick one with mostly good reviews. do see models in person and judge for yourself though but do realize your older sources may not look as good as what you see in the store given they are going to be much lower resolution generally than any hdmi driven content used to sell tvs.

another thing worth noting is that tvs with a grid array backlighting system of leds is going to offer better contrast generally than edge-lit models.

perhaps something like http://www.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-E32-C1-32-Class-1080p-120Hz-Full-Array-LED-Smart-HDTV/43310242
if you bought a new dvd player which had hdmi, you could connect that to the hdmi port, your dvr to the component video ports and maybe the vcr to the coax (and if it doesnt work, you could always use an adapter for just the vcr to another port).

cant say about image quality (look at it firsthand) though grid array is certainly a nice feature. you might be able to find one cheaper with grid-array as well if you look as you really do not need smart tv functions or 120hz modes (but finding a tv without them is becoming harder and harder to find).

Bell2001

Estimable
Nov 29, 2015

WOW!!! Looking for TVs is much more complicated than I thought. LOL It's a lot more like purchasing a Laptop, Desktop, or Tablet.

I don't know for sure if going 1080 is what I want or not. I will have to look more into grid array backlighting vs. edge-lit. What I do know is that I miss having a TV. LOL I'm trying to be tough and not rush purchasing a TV just because I don't have one... we'll see how long that will work. :D So far, I am three days strong... then again two of those days were spent at work, or not in the house. ;)

Thanks again! You have been more helpful than I even thought to ask. :)

I don't know what the prices are over there. But really, you can't go wrong with any of the newer sets. You'll find 32" VA, or IPS.

VA = higher contrast, nearly equal color reproduction, deep blacks, no obvious defects such as bleed, glow, clouding, poor (not bad) viewing angles, ideal for movies, TV shows and games.

IPS = lower contrast, great color reproduction, poor blacks, obvious defects, excellent viewing angles, bad for movies, TV shows and games in a dark room, on VA it won't matter if bright or dark in a room.

In all TV's that aren't mega expensive, stay away from dimming, if that's what you're referring to. They don't have enough zones, so it'll leave bright spots around where it's trying to dim to increase the perceived contrast/make dark darker.

Main difference however, is panel types. You really shouldn't focus on anything else but that. Low end VA still have a higher contrast ratio than high end IPS, where as high end VA, and high end IPS, are equal in terms of color reproduction, though VA wins, because it's a much more pleasing picture to look at.

IPS: http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-32LF5600-32-Inch-1080p/dp/B00TRQPYFY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449039284&sr=8-1&keywords=LG+32%22+1080p+TV

VA: http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E32-C1-32-Inch-1080p-Refurbished/dp/B010U3LSKM/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1449039342&sr=8-18&keywords=Vizio+32%22+1080

Both are 60 Hz, 1080p. Downside would be dimming zones, but not much you can do about that. A lot of great reviews on the Vizio, though experts knows what to look for, which the average consumer doesn't, or don't care about small details like that. Full array dimming LCD's are much more expensive, so there's no way to get around that in cheaper VA TV's.

Bell2001

Estimable
Nov 29, 2015

You have given me so much information to take with me when I look for a TV... more than I could have hoped to receive from my initial question. I greatly appreciate your advice and assistance. Thank you!

As far as prices over here, they can vary. The closer we get to Christmas, the lower prices. I just barely missed the Thanksgiving weekend price drops. Maybe if my TV had gone kaput a week or two prior, I could have bought one nicer than what is available now at regular price. Then again, I am not so aggressive to wait in front of a store during this time of the year (COLD) until they open just to get a "Black Friday" type deal. Sure, I'd love to get a great deal too, but there are things more important in life to me than getting the best deals. If that is what someone wants to do, go for it, but it is not for me. I will shop until I find a TV I like, and then shop until I find a price that is suitable. :D It has worked for me.