Old monitor, RCA connectors, wave/blurry picture

Juls123

Estimable
Apr 18, 2015
I had an old monitor (Samsung Syncmaster 910MP) that was still good. Decided to use it in the bedroom as a TV. (I don't watch *much* TV in there, but now and then is convenient, esp. if I have the flu or something.)

Took my old Roku 2, which works on non digital TV, and first hooked it up using RCA connectors...terrible picture. Is wavy, fades in from color to black and white continually. The Roku's other connection was HDMI, and this monitor is ancient. On the computer, I always used a VGA connector. So I got a cheap HDMI to VGA adapter, and whaddya know...it worked perfectly!

Now, a friend gave me a digital converter, and I'd like to have the option of live over the air TV. (I'm a cord cutter) Same problem. The converter also has RCA jacks, HDMI, and then an RF out thing. (I use the RF in to plug in the antennae.)

I should mention this monitor actually has a tuner in it, but since it's so old, it's not digital, so is worthless now. Back when I used it as a computer monitor, I had a spare cable TV line that was hooked in, and I could actually do computing, with a PIP for the cable (or switch source and watch cable). It was just kinda fun if I wanted to watch news while I computed.

First, I'm wondering if there's anything I'm doing wrong that would cause the wavy/bad picture using RCA. It makes no sense to me that the monitor would have the RCA jacks if they weren't meant to work.

My other options would be:

1. Buy an HDMI switcher for about 15-20 bucks, although I can't tell...I might end up needing a male-fem adapter of some kind. Then bring roku and TV converter into the switcher, which is then hooked up to the hdmi to vga adapter that I use now for the roku. Sigh.

2. Is the RF anything that would work? I have an old RF modulator in my box of junk (Cable Co made me buy that one time), but no coaxial (??) cables.

3. There is also an IN S-video on the monitor, but again, would require some kind of adapter.

4. Leave as is, accept bad video, and watch the news every now and again. The video is passable, but not watchable for very long because it makes you dizzy.

5. Is there any way to make the RCA work?

I'm looking for the cheapest method possible, because I have no idea how much life is left in this monitor. It's been a really great monitor. Apparently I'm emotionally attached to it, because in the long run, it probably would have been cheaper to go to Wal Mart and buy a cheap 20-inch TV. On the other hand, this thing could last five years, and then it was worth it!

Solution
The RCA and VGA channels are on two different circuits, so it is possible than the RCA circuit may have bad components (blown capacitors, whatever), and thus may not work properly. This happened a while back to my home theatre system: the HDMI video suddenly stopped working (audio still came through) but the RCA jacks worked fine. HDMI started working again, but sinces its aging now, the capacitors will soon just stop working,so it will probably stop working soon.

Chayan4400

Estimable
Apr 12, 2015
The RCA and VGA channels are on two different circuits, so it is possible than the RCA circuit may have bad components (blown capacitors, whatever), and thus may not work properly. This happened a while back to my home theatre system: the HDMI video suddenly stopped working (audio still came through) but the RCA jacks worked fine. HDMI started working again, but sinces its aging now, the capacitors will soon just stop working,so it will probably stop working soon.

Solution

Juls123

Estimable
Apr 18, 2015

Thank you. I had no idea they were on different circuits.

Chayan4400

Estimable
Apr 12, 2015

They are on two seperate circuits because each requires a different signal, so encoding/ decoding must be done seperately. They may be on the same circuit BOARD, however.

your best bet is to get a KVM switch:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Ports-USB-2-0-VGA-KVM-Switch-Box-Converters-For-Computer-Keyboard-Mouse-L5YG-/321424314831?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_186&hash=item4ad661d1cf

then plug the vga- hdmi adapter in one end, and this at the other:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-LAPTOP-VGA-SVGA-TO-S-Video-3-RCA-Composite-AV-TV-Out-Converter-Adapter-Cable-/371231534496?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item566f1fada0

It doesnt matter that you arent using the HDMI output of the converter instead, since HDMI-VGA converters are more expensive (digital to analog) and because RCA to VGA is analog to analog, the converter is much cheaper.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-LAPTOP-VGA-SVGA-TO-S-Video-3-RCA-Composite-AV-TV-Out-Converter-Adapter-Cable-/371231534496?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item566f1fada0

Yes, it is complicated, but this set up should work, and once set up you only need to hit the button on the KVM switch to change inputs.