mantukis5000

Estimable
Jan 30, 2015
Is my old Creative sbs 5.1 560 speaker set good? Do speakers or headphones get obsolete? Can Creative sbs 5.1 560 play 967 kbps audio (flac)?

Solution

What your speakers can play has nothing to do with the speakers, they will play whatever is sent to them from the output of the computer.

Only time a speaker can get obsolete is if for some reason the connection is uses is no longer common, but even then there are often adapters.

A good set of speakers or headphones can last for many many years. My parents still have a set of speakers they got when I was in high-school, about 28 years ago.

If they sound good, use them.

If you have a Logtech 560 is that the 4.1 Z560? Don't think they have a 560 model that is 5.1. I have the 4.1...
I cannot find any wiring diagram for these speakers, but I suppose they are analog (connected with three cables to your PC - front L/R, read L/R and center/woofer). As such, they will play whatever your soundcard outputs to them, so it is up to the soundcard and audio player to support 96 kbps audio.

Whether they are good or not - with frequency response of 40..20000 they are not the best, and probably not good for filling in an auditorium with sound.

mantukis5000

Estimable
Jan 30, 2015

Yes, this speaker set is analog with 3 3.5 mm jacks. Can these speakers play monstrous 2993 kbps music ? So analog speakers are better, right ?

My soundcard is integrated realtek alc 887

They can play anything your PC supports but aren't good enough to let you really hear what 24-192 high resolution audio FLAC files can sound like. You need speakers that are for music. You can upgrade to self powered music speakers such as Audio Engine or Kanto. You can also use an actual audio system which might consist of a separate DAC, integrated amplifier and passive speakers. Your budget will determine how to upgrade. Used equipment can be one way to get started.

What your speakers can play has nothing to do with the speakers, they will play whatever is sent to them from the output of the computer.

Only time a speaker can get obsolete is if for some reason the connection is uses is no longer common, but even then there are often adapters.

A good set of speakers or headphones can last for many many years. My parents still have a set of speakers they got when I was in high-school, about 28 years ago.

If they sound good, use them.

If you have a Logtech 560 is that the 4.1 Z560? Don't think they have a 560 model that is 5.1. I have the 4.1 Z560 set like these Zhttp://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Computer-Speakers-5-Speaker-Black/dp/B00006B9CN They sound very good, not a lot of better options to change them out for unless you spend $100+ on a 2.1 set or $200+ on a 5.1 set, even then it likely won't be "better" but "similar".

Solution

mantukis5000

Estimable
Jan 30, 2015

Creative sbs 5.1 560

Sorry, don't know how I missed the brand, must have been half focused on the post while at work. Too bad it's not the Logitech Z560, those are good speakers.

The Creative 560 are not as good, they are a lower range model but if they work and you are OK with how they sound, no issues with using them till they break.