Old unitech portable tv questions.

ajshn

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
I got my hands on an old unitech tv model pe-10 from the late 80's and had a few (dumb) questions i was wondering if anyone could answer. Heres a picture of the back of the tv i found online. And this came with it. How do i use the antenna terminal it came with? Is there a way to connect the tv to modern indoor tv antennas?

ajshn

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
Thank you, three more questions how exactly do you connect that to the adapter, do you put it on the screws, and secondly would it attach to this? It has a 5' coaxial cable. Also could i buy this instead?

clarkjd

Distinguished

They both should work. connect the coax output from the antenna to the coax connectoe on the transformer. Then connect the two wires from the balun to the two screws on the TV adapter, then just plug the TV adapter to the i\antenna input on the TV. As far as connections go that will work. Here's the BUT: Your old TV tuner will only accept an analog input signal on the antenna inputs. All over the air broadcast stations now use a digital signal. so your old TV won't know how to decode and use the new digital signals.

ajshn

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013

So is there anything i can do about that?

clarkjd

Distinguished

You could get a stand-alone tuner. Some of the higher end DVD & BluRay players include a tuner, or get something like this:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/tv-video-accessories/digital-tv-tuners-converters/abcat0104000.c?id=abcat0104000
Basically, you tune your TV to Ch.3, Then use the digital tuner to select the Station you want to view.
By now, you've probably spent more than the old TV is worth.:pt1cable::(:ouch: It may be more cost effective to just get a new TV.

ajshn

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013

clarkjd

Distinguished

Assuming that they work,(you can't tell since they are from ebay), Either one fills the bill for a digital tuner. Neither have remote control, so you have to touch the box to actually change the channel. Hookup is simple: Antenna to the input of tuner. Output of tuner to Antenna inputs of TV. You may still need the Baluns discussed before.

Good Luck!

ajshn

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
So im reviving this thread to ask another question. I bought the transformer that was suggested and I picked up an old signal converter too and hooked everything up, including my cable box, and i didn't get anything but static on the tv.
I was also wondering if it would be possible to do what lazy game reviews did in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMiMz1uGCXI

clarkjd

Distinguished

The static could be caused by any number of things from a bad cable or converter to the fact that the TV just won't work.

Assuming that the TV works, the procedure described in the video should work to get an HDMI input for your TV.

Good Luck!

ajshn

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013

I hope the tv works, the radio part on it does. i have no way to test it other than what i mentioned. I have the composite converter from the video already now i just need the hdmi one. But i didnt want to waste my time if it wasnt possible. Thanks!