older laptop gaming help

Hitman Absolution

Commendable
Feb 19, 2016
I have a laptop in which old games like call of duty world at war, fifa 14, spiderman web of shadows would run at 20-30 fps with low to medium settings. However nowadays the fps drops to 10 sometimes and fifa 14 lags like hell. What should i do to make my laptop work properly?

Solution

Re-install Windows, install drivers and the games again, should be good as new if there are no physical issues like overheating or video card issues or RAM issues.

Re-install Windows, install drivers and the games again, should be good as new if there are no physical issues like overheating or video card issues or RAM issues.

Solution
First run windows update just to make sure that it hasn't missed anything.
Then go to either intel or the amd website and download the drivers for your cpu.
Then go to either nividia or amd and download the gpu drivers
Then go to your manufacture's website and download the drivers for your laptop

For laptops I try to avoid installing the reference drivers, combined with Windows update it tends to mess with dual graphics laptops a lot. In most cases the older drivers from the laptop vendor are just fine to use, and only if there are issues should the ones from AMD or nVidia be used. Or if someone tries them and they are running fine but with a system restore ready if they are not.

Wayfall

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013

I have an old SLI dual graphics laptop in the cupboard which we use now and then if we just want to quickly research something. We still only use the standard driver as windows update messes it up otherwise. There is a game boost/SLI button on the laptop that combines the graphics cards when you play it. For some reason the new drivers can't recognize this button and in so disables the SLI basically. I actually don't know what is inside the laptop really but back in the day it could max the first assassins creed game.

Windows update is a pain no matter which version OS you have.

Wayfall

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
Well you could try but have you explore your over options such as doing physically cleaning the laptop inside then going on the laptop to defrag HDD, virus search, update drivers and such.

A reset is the last resort really, when did this start happening?

Hitman Absolution

Commendable
Feb 19, 2016
Once i had installed a cleaning program called auglogics boostcleaner or something like that. Then i registered the program and carried out a few processes like defragmentation and registry cleaning and stuff like that. After that i thought that my laptop would be faster but for some reason it became slower. I thought that uninstalling the program would help. But it made no change and was as slow as ever. Then i did a virus scan with avast antivirus and it said that 2 threats had been detected. I then deleted the threats. One of them got deleted but the other one would not get deleted at all, not matter what i tried. This has been driving me crazy, for i cant even play gta san andreas at low settings. I think factory resetting is the best option.

kyzarvs

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008

wow - that's probably why...

More considered reply - your last post didn't have a question in it and ends with 'I think factory resetting is the best option.' - you seem to have answered your own question.

USAFRet

Illustrious

You've asked the same basic question at least 6 times in the last few weeks.
You've been given the same basic answer each time - Sell that one and buy a new one. There is little you can do with the current laptop.

And from your most recent comment, watch the language, please. We don't want to have to go further than a warning...