Older Plasma TV not cooperating with newer Technology

Cmcain16

Commendable
Dec 28, 2016
I have an older plasma tv from 2007. I just bought a DVD player and hooked it up with a hdmi cord. The logo would show up and then it would go to a blank screen. I talked to a technician at Samsung and he said the tv was too old to use the newer technology and that I needed to buy a DVD player from 2013 or earlier. I then took my Roku off of my old box tv in another room and hooked it up to the plasma tv. It would show up the menu, but when I went to play something the screen would Go blank. I am feeling like I am being forced to buy a new tv when there is nothing wrong with this one. Is there an easy fix that would get something to work on my tv? I would like to be able to access Netflix and other streaming channels.

Thank you!

Solution
You should have less problem going through the Component hookup, if both devices have such interface. To get surround, run another Toslink cable from DVD player to Receiver.

You should be able to get an old DVD player on eBay for a song, but you will have continuos problems with other HDMI devices you want to hook up.
You should have less problem going through the Component hookup, if both devices have such interface. To get surround, run another Toslink cable from DVD player to Receiver.

You should be able to get an old DVD player on eBay for a song, but you will have continuos problems with other HDMI devices you want to hook up.

Solution

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
set the display on the dvd player to 720p output. that should force any plasma to work... would have been nice IF you actually would have put some equipment information in your post... would save a lot of guessing... and you might actually get a better answer than "buy another tv"... "buy another player".