Solved! Oled vs led HDR

Apr 25, 2018
I am upgrading my entertainment system and don't know which way to go. I know for the best picture quality, OLED's can't be beat today, but are more expensive. So I find myself at a fork in the road with 2 options. I am hoping your input can help me decide which path to take. One path leads to a 4K LED with HDR (a Vizio M series) at 65 inches. The other path leads to a OLED (which again is a Vizio) but at 55 inches. So which path should I chose: LED/HDR 65 inches for roughly $900 or OLED 55 inches for roughly $1350 (2016 model)? Any input or help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
I think the 55" you mention is an LG not a Vizio?
The viewing distance does matter. A 65" will look a lot larger at that distance.
If you value darker blacks and better color the OLED will be better at that. The LED will be brighter which is advantage in a sunny room. HDR usually works better because of this too.

cherry blossoms

Commendable
Apr 13, 2016
If you watch a lot of content with static areas (station logos, the bar across the bottom of most news stations, etc) OLED is NOT a good option related to image retention and possible burn in.

Apr 25, 2018

Thank you CB for your response. Can't say I really watch a lot of TV with scrolling at the bottom or station logos. I did not realize that this would be of concern with OLED's though. By the way, my viewing distance is 10 feet (if this makes a difference)

I think the 55" you mention is an LG not a Vizio?
The viewing distance does matter. A 65" will look a lot larger at that distance.
If you value darker blacks and better color the OLED will be better at that. The LED will be brighter which is advantage in a sunny room. HDR usually works better because of this too.

Solution