One-Pedal Design Aims to End Car Crashing Woes

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Maybe if there were less drunk drivers, people talking/texting on cell phones, 80+ year old people that can't see worth a darn(not that I have anything against the elderly), etc. then you don't have to worry about hitting the brake too hard as long as you pay attention...

doive1231

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
"..making them unlearn the muscle memory built over the years "

How do you think people drive go-karts or golf-buggys. It's not difficult to adapt to a different pedal. We are humans, right?

distanted

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
Each year cars get smarter, while drivers get dumber. When the cars are smart enough to realize that humans are the biggest threat on the road, they'll take matters into their own hands (tires?)...then we'll all be sorry...

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
[citation][nom]aje21[/nom]Sorry, but why is this news? The most recent date in the story is 1991 for goodness sake.[/citation]

No, the most recent date in the article is now - this system is deployed CURRENTLY in 130 cars, and Naruse-san NOW holds the patent in 6 countries.

farrow099

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Dumb, Dumbdumb, dumb..... DUMB
I for one don't want to use anything built a guy that can't remember which pedal is which!

Besides, wouldn't a see-saw (pivoted) type design would be far superior to this lame throw away from '91?!?

tleavit

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
[citation][nom]distanted[/nom]Each year cars get smarter, while drivers get dumber. When the cars are smart enough to realize that humans are the biggest threat on the road, they'll take matters into their own hands (tires?)...then we'll all be sorry...[/citation]

Lexus becomes self aware August 29. 1997 and quickly learns at a exponential rate...

B16CXHatch

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
I've got 3 pedals and a shifter to deal with and I don't have any problems. Worst problem I've ever had was in an automatic Jeep Cherokee. It had a really wide brake pedal so you can see where this is going. I locked the brakes big time cause I was looking for a clutch pedal that wasn't there. Fortunately I was in a parking lot.

G

But officer... I meant to push the pedal down to stop and my foot slipped to the right!

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]tleavit[/nom]Lexus becomes self aware August 29. 1997 and quickly learns at a exponential rate...[/citation]

Thanks a lot...now I've got to go home and watch Terminator 2...

G

This Naruse Pedal is never going to fly in America. It works against the natural foot motion, which might bring you physical issues later on.

G

As a society, we seem unable and unwilling to deal with the carnage caused to drivers and, disproportionately, to pedestrians and cyclists, by the small minority of drivers who are:

Drunk (and drugged)

Distracted (cell phones, texting, smartphones, GPS, in-car entertainment systems, dashboard internet)

Deranged (boy racers, rage addicts, poisoned by testosterone, ego-maniacal, and those sad medically afflicted people)

Dumb -- unable to understand the complexities of driving.

All these are easily identifiable types, but as a society, we do very little about getting them out from behind the wheel.

And so we continue to kill tens of thousands of people per year this way, and injure millions. If this carnage were caused by, oh let's say, seagulls -- there would be squads of soldiers everywhere mowing them down with shotguns.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
3026xr5.jpg

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]CameraKen[/nom] If this carnage were caused by, oh let's say, seagulls -- there would be squads of soldiers everywhere mowing them down with shotguns.[/citation]

Highly inefficient. We would hire the Apple marketing team to espouse the nutritious benefit of eating seagull egg omelets. The species is gone after one or two breeding seasons...

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Wannaa cause fewer accidents) make the car harder to drive, not simplier. People need to concentrate on driving. So give each foot and arm something other to do becides hold a phone or big gulp. Also, remove throttle by wire, that'll fix all of the unintended acceleration problems. Where the car thinks its getting a wot command.

kikireeki

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
I you are a bad driver, you are going to crash no matter what they invent to assist you. look what they have invented so far: (ABS, EBD traction control, parking sensors, auto parking, tire pressure sensors, collision protection..) and yet the accidents are still skyrocketing.

Status
Not open for further replies.