One-Pedal Design Aims to End Car Crashing Woes

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

need4speeds

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
It could be used for drivers that have only one leg with limited mobility, cars are often modded so disabled people can drive. Having a car or van for someone in a wheelchair is a big deal for these people who have a hard time getting around.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]fyasko[/nom]people fail at driving. 3 pedals is the only way to go.[/citation]
Exactly, everyone knows that properly made cars have 3 pedals. Anyone who feels otherwise is just wrong, and probably a communist terrorist and should be jailed without trial.

I grew up learning on the tractor with 4 pedals (two brake pedals, one for each rear tire) and a double clutch, the fact that people have a hard time handling a manual just baffles me let alone people that hit the wrong pedal in automatics.

G

You can't off-road with this pedal. You'll need to be able to finesse both the break pedal and gas pedal at the same time as you go over bigger obstacles and this one won't let you do that.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]B16CXHatch[/nom]I've got 3 pedals and a shifter to deal with and I don't have any problems. Worst problem I've ever had was in an automatic Jeep Cherokee. It had a really wide brake pedal so you can see where this is going. I locked the brakes big time cause I was looking for a clutch pedal that wasn't there. Fortunately I was in a parking lot.[/citation]
Heh, yeah, when I'm driving a rental or a relative's automatic there's been times where I felt like I almost put my foot through the left wheel well. It's very disorienting for those first few moments when there's a missing clutch.

Lewis57

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
Not sure how bad it is in America, I imagine it's just the same, but it is shocking how bad drivers are in the UK. You just wouldn't believe the amount of people I see daily; drifting across lanes, no indicating, no checking mirrors. As a motorbike rider I have to be doubly aware of these idiots. At least every one journey I see 2-3 people who really shouldn't have passed their test.

hunter315

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
man keeps trying to make things more idiot proof but nature just keeps making a better idiot. Nature will always win so why make life harder for everyone else to attempt to protect an idiot you cant protect?

cobra5000

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
Congratulations! Just about every comment on this story is full blown retarded. If you don't take a little time to think outside the box, innovation grinds to a halt and things become stagnant. Sure the current pedal system works pretty awesome but I'm sure it can be improved upon. If this works or if it doesn't at least somebody out there pushing the envelope instead of pushing the bullcrap!

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
[citation][nom]doomsy2006[/nom]Uhmm how about an accelerometer in the gas pedal system. When it is activated to its fullest potential within milliseconds it actually floods the engine to a stall / or acts like a switch to kill the engine which could then activate an automatic anti-lock braking system like what is now being used in Mercedes-Benz. No need to change anything except how the car reacts to an immediate full throttle.[/
citation]

its call a PCM (powertrain control module) it already creates acceleration lag to prevent full throttle grannie and every young male prick who ruins driving for the rest of us young males. By delaying the oppening of the throttle and the injectors.

Spike53

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
I will never ever use this system. I don't care how some computer thinks I should do things or of they shrink all pedals into one. I'll stick with my 3 pedals and have full control and not accommodate people who shouldn't be driving and who can't successfully operate even 2 pedals.
P.S.Save the Manuals!

Spike53

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
[citation][nom]doomsy2006[/nom]Uhmm how about an accelerometer in the gas pedal system. When it is activated to its fullest potential within milliseconds it actually floods the engine to a stall / or acts like a switch to kill the engine which could then activate an automatic anti-lock braking system like what is now being used in Mercedes-Benz. No need to change anything except how the car reacts to an immediate full throttle.[/citation]
Now that I've fully read all articles, this one stands out and I HAD to reply. My first problem with what you proposed is that it takes full control out of the hands of the driver (who needs to make judgments and reactions) by preventing them from using the car to the full potential. Secondly, purposely stalling the car while in use is VERY dangerous. This ties into the full control aspect. I bet you'd be pretty pissed and want to rethink life if you were put in a situation where you ABSOLUTELY HAD to accelerate as fast as possible to avoid an object, speed out of a situation, etc and when you go to tromp it, it sputters and stalls on you just because a computer thinks you're being an asshole on the road and says no-no, you can't go fast NOW.
I want full control of my cars. I don't need some fancy uni-pedal to do everything for me. I want my 3 pedals and 6 speed shifter. Let me have full and individual control of everything and leave computers to decide what intervals my blinker flashes at.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Lmao you people do realize most cars with manual transmission accelerate faster then automatics...

And if you're hitting the wrong pedal, take your license, grab a pair of scissors and chopp the mother up. You don't deserve it.

knutjb

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
Disney has had a single pedal for decades, you push it down and you go, you let up and you stop. Even with that people still can't drive on a closed course with a fixed guide.

Technology can't fix drivers who aren't mentally behind the wheel. Build something idiot proof, we build a better idiot!

blueomni

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
[citation][nom]BulkZerker[/nom]Wannaa cause fewer accidents) make the car harder to drive, not simplier. People need to concentrate on driving. So give each foot and arm something other to do becides hold a phone or big gulp. Also, remove throttle by wire, that'll fix all of the unintended acceleration problems. Where the car thinks its getting a wot command.[/citation]

Althoug I understand your point of view, I cannot agree with it! If a car company starts making cars harder to drive, people will just stop buying them and buy from someone else!

Status
Not open for further replies.