One-Quarter of Smartphone Owners Spurn Cases

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
I'll admit I don't have a case. A decision I regret as my phone slipped out of my pocket at one point and the plastic chipped slightly. I'm not the shortest person so it had a little extra height to fall from too. I have a Samsung Galaxy S Relay so finding a case I like is tricky.

blueer03

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
I don't have a case. I like the way my phone looks, why would I want to cover it up? Plus, unlike some peoples I-phones, it can actually survive a drop. HTC One-X

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Well with more phones using "Gorillia Glass" it's only a matter of when, not if, the screen will shatter. HTC One, HTC DNA, and just about every new phone out, shatter in seconds when dropped once from a normal height. if it has Gorilla glass you are pretty much saying "it looks pretty until you drop it(without insurance) and are screwed". 2 months into my 24 month contract, I dropped by HTC DNA, it shattered (good job Gorilla glass, sarcasm). Verizon said I am SOL. Replacement cost of phone 700 bucks. STUPID. Get a case

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
I've dropped my phone a few times Antilycus on multiple surfaces and the only thing that got scuffed or damaged was the plastic case samsung put the components into. Though I've only dropped it twice on an actual hard surface. I'm generally really careful with my stuff.

Rotorhard

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
IPhone also uses gorilla glass. As if the generic assumptions as to why iPhone and Android owners choose to not buy cases wasn't enough to discredit these findings as "scientific"

jojesa

Distinguished
I have using smartphones (since the Treo 180) and never used a protective case. Don't see the point of getting a sleek phone to double its size with a bulky case. Did not use cases with G1, G2, Nexus (<- these fell a couple of times and they survived pretty well), and now with Moto X.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
I have a thin TPU case for my One VX. It is not to protect it from dropping, but for the simple fact that the back of the phone is white and i do not want it to get dirty.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I got a huge rubber case on my phone. I've dropped it multiple times with no problems. I also work with it in my pocket, often gets bumped and smacked around. Each to his own. Not really sure the point of the article, but I guess it's just interesting to know what others do and why.

tidris

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013
Instead of buying a case for my new contract free android phone I bought a couple of extra phones as spares. At $20 per phone on black Friday it was a very easy choice to make.

I know what you are thinking: the phone must be a bottom of the barrel barely usable piece of s*** . In fact it is a very nice middle range model with dual core 1.2GHz Qualcom CPU + GPU, 1 GB RAM, 4 GB ROM, dual HD cameras + flash, WIFI bgn, Bluetooth 4.0, GPS, 4" IPS screen, etc.

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
@Rotor: The iphones did not use gorilla glass until the iphone 5. If you look back you'll notice that a lot less iphones seem to be cracking since the swap.

tomaz99

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Just be careful. If you're not, then do not spend top dollar for a mini-pc that fits into your pocket.

If my modern and thin "mobile" phone with bubble wrap around it looks like a 1980's Motorola Brick phone...what's the point. I may as well wear a protective helmet because I'm just as likely to walk into something.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
I think my yellow Lumia 820 is too beautiful to have a case. I'm extra careful with it (not a scratch or dent on 2 months now), so I think I'm good.

dsolom3

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
"of the quarter of smartphone owners who go caseless, 70 percent owned an Android phone while only 20 percent owned an iPhone."

Isn't that the split of the market anyway? ~75% Android, ~15% Apple? Way to fudge numbers. I'm willing to bet that there are more Android users who don't use a case then there are Iphone users in total, how's that for statistics?

Simon Anderson

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013
Nothing bugs me more than people who buy cases... but then again, a big reason i choose a phone is how thin it is... so adding extra bulk is stupid to me.

Just seems rediculous... "oh i have to protect it!"... the thing HAS a case already, phones come with a "case" built in... its not just a collection of circuit boards exposed to the air, it has solid material built around it... why does it need ANOTHER case?

smart phones are made with glass that are virtually unscratchable, and before that, i bought Nokia phones which you could buy replacement original covers for (not a second cover, but that actual original cover itself)

Designers put hours in to designing elegant looking, beautiful products just to have twerps go and destroy it all by putting extra crap over it... it's a damn shame! :p

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
@Simon Anderson

and yet they refuse to put a rubber material around the glass and back so it doesn't slip and is protected a bit from an impact.

when a company goes looks>function i stop caring how many hours they put into design, they screwed up and cant even tell why.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
There are 2 things that could happen to my old phone when I get a new one.A. I resell them. For every scratch or dent I get less money.B. I pass them to my kids. For every scratch or dent I get a funny look.Solution. Get a case and screen protector. There you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.