One thing I need to know about AMD vs Nvidia

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mhmd1993

Estimable
Jul 29, 2015
Hi everyone :) my laptop can't run new games properly so I guess it's time to build my first desktop pc.
I initially decided to go with the GTX 970, i did a lot of research because I want my GPU to be relatively future proof (ie : to be able to run games without problems for the next 3 years). I found that Nvidia intentionally downgrades kepler GPUs just to sell more Maxwell GPUs, as new drivers for kepler GPUs appear to be suscipiously unoptimized for current gen games. This can be seen in a lot of benchmarks for modern games where the 970 outperforms the 780 Ti ! (Or the 960 outperforming the 780). I read from some forums that some 780 Ti actually had their performance decreased just after downloading the recent driver !
Now it will be really annoying for me if I buy a 970 and nvidia downgrades it once they release new GPUs (specially because prices in my country are 50% more expensive than in the US). That makes me consider AMD 390. But my question is :
Does AMD provide a better support for their old cards ? I mean, do old AMD cards perform better than similar old nvidia cards in recent games ?
Also, should directx 12 affect my decision ?
thanks in advance ^^

TRENDING THREADS