Onkyo TX-nr616 - does it support wireless speakers

krtvedten

Prominent
Oct 3, 2017
How can I tell if my receiver will support wireless speakers? I'm guessing it doesn't, since I can't find any info about it - but before I go out and buy a new system...

Or is there an adapter that can be purchased?

Solution
The Onkyo app won't help you with wireless speakers.
If you use Sonos Play speakers they don't require a receiver. Each speaker or pair goes online to access music including Spotify.
If you want add the Sonos streaming to the receiver add a Sonos Connect which attached to the receiver and is controlled by the Sonos app. It essentially replaces the receivers' built in streaming for Sonos.
If you want to use the playstation as your source and connect BT speakers to your receiver then you would connect a BT transmitter to the Zone 2 line level output of the receiver. Select the playstation as the zone 2 source.
You can't pair more than two speakers (or stereo pairs) to any BT transmitter.
If you need more than two then check out JBL BT...

krtvedten

Prominent
Oct 3, 2017

THank you fpr the tip, how do you connect them?

krtvedten

Prominent
Oct 3, 2017

I'm sorry, I need this explained super simple . I've had the Onkyo remote app, but it stopped supporting Spotify. So I hooked up som RCA cables between the playstation and the Onkyo. But I guess I don't really understand how the Onkyo app will help me connect wireless (is it bluetooth) speakers?

The Onkyo app won't help you with wireless speakers.
If you use Sonos Play speakers they don't require a receiver. Each speaker or pair goes online to access music including Spotify.
If you want add the Sonos streaming to the receiver add a Sonos Connect which attached to the receiver and is controlled by the Sonos app. It essentially replaces the receivers' built in streaming for Sonos.
If you want to use the playstation as your source and connect BT speakers to your receiver then you would connect a BT transmitter to the Zone 2 line level output of the receiver. Select the playstation as the zone 2 source.
You can't pair more than two speakers (or stereo pairs) to any BT transmitter.
If you need more than two then check out JBL BT speakers that work with their Connect+ app. That would let you use an unlimited number of JBL BT speakers and assign them as single or pairs.

Solution

krtvedten

Prominent
Oct 3, 2017

OK, now we are getting further. I use the Playstation to stream. Unfortunately though, I have to have TV on to get sound out this way - is that avoidable when using the Playstation? I mean when listening to music, I'd like to avoid having the TV on too, but I also want surround sound when watching movies. Thank you!!

Otherwise, I will look into the jbl but speakers and a bit transmitter. Thanks

krtvedten

Prominent
Oct 3, 2017

Because I hate cables