Online Retailer Makes Million-Dollar Pricing Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

smashley

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
I remember Dell doing something like this about a year ago with some lcd monitors on one of their sites (Asia, I think?). If I recall correctly they tried to cancel the orders but were ultimately forced to honor them by the government. Good publicity for these guys, but I bet they wish the noticed the problem sooner :)

gmarsack

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
This happened to IBM a number of years back where they priced laptops at $1.00 on their website for a short period of time. They didn't honor the prices on any of those orders, however. Shocking that 6pm.com is, which is good for their customers and hopefully, they'll get a boost in customers from this news; they'll need it.

N19h7M4r3

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
Thats one dumb company... if it was me id never honor that... if i was in a good mood maibe i'd give some kind of coupon or something...

thedreadfather

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]pei-chen[/nom]They should just honor one per item. I can imagine someone tried to order 10 5870.[/citation] You realize they sell apparel, right?

Hupiscratch

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
I think appearing all over the news honoring the sales (even with the 1.6 M dollar debt) is a much cheaper publicity if they choose to pay for this publicity on other sites and television. Kudos for then.

Sunburn74

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
I don't understand why you're forced to honor pricing mistakes. I mean if you have a garage sale and leave the decimal point of something in the wrong place, I can't force you to sell it to me at that price. The seller always has the option to say "no, I don't want to sell to you". They are being really good sports to lose 1.6 million dollars over a weekend. I guess they figure avoiding the bad press would be worth the loss. Plus maybe people will feel guilty for literally robbing this company like bottom feeding thieves and will come back and buy more stuff later.

Status
Not open for further replies.