Online Role-Playing Games May Damage Your Marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Depends,

If the other half joins in, then it's probably a better basis for marriage.

Though, if you are with someone who is unwilling to share your interests, therein lies the problem.

However, if you are addicted then you will have a problem socially, not just maritally. (same as any other addiction)

bobbyp86

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
I play various games, including WoW, with my girlfriend and it doesn't do any harm at all to our relationship. If anything it is much healthier for a relationship than slouching in front of the TV every evening.

As Billybobser says, if you're in a relationship with someone that's unwilling to share your interests then that's a problem, but not really one specific to gaming.

davidgermain

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2005
share your interests...

i would have thought people would find this out early in the relationship, but to have 7years of marriage and NOW its an issue...
theuniquegamer - too right, as bob said - no woman no cry.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
My wife is not a gamer, although she tried Guild Wars because I play it. We are extremely tolerant and/or supportive of one another's hobbies though, even if we do not share them (hers are crafting-related). If a couple shares core values, and neither has an addiction problem (playing escapist games is just one of many possible addictions), then it shouldn't be an issue.

phishy714

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
This just in: putting material things before your spouse can lead to an unhappy spouse and unhappy marriage.

Who woulda thunk it?

...idiots..

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
For a marriage to work common hobbies have to exist and have to be done together as much as possible. If you spend enough time playing video-games that you consider it a decent part of your life than you better be with someone who also shares the hobby and around as much as you. Play those games together and it will be a bonding experience.

eiskrystal

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
A survey conducted by scientists at Brigham Young University found that the excessive *insert-anything-here* could lead to a decrease of marital satisfaction.

officeguy

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
I can believe that. Anything too much is not good for a marriage especially if the person is not into what the other one is doing. Of course there are always exceptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.