OnLive Games: The Cloud Is Coming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

math1337

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
[citation][nom]stevefosterl7[/nom]Even if all the rendering etc is done on there servers, are they seriously suggesting it will work on any old computer. What happens if you have a pentium 3 with 64mb ram? Is it still going to run perfectly on that?How long before "Any Computer" is redefined to mean a minimum of 2gb ram and a really decent video card?[/citation]
My "any computer" with a celeron and 1GB ram cannot even watch youtube at 720p without lagging(I let the video load, so it is not the internet connection), so how is is it supposed to stream the video and send input back to the server faster than a decent pc can render normally?

FloKid

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Holly cow. I am signing up. Why pay $3000 for a top of a line end game PC if you can't even play some games at max res on it anyways. I just wish they would support 3D gaming in the near future.

seth89

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
this thing is going to rock. i know i will give it a try. for 14.99 a month you would have to be crazy not to try it out.

seth89

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
this thing is going to rock. i know i will give it a try. for 14.99 a month you would have to be crazy not to try it out.

G

I can barely stream BBC iplayer over here (Northern Ireland) and sometimes struggle with youtube. While the connection is UDP based to reduce traffic and searches for "local" people to game with I high doubt it will work here. With ever increasing internet traffic and the extra demand cloud gaming will create I think it'll be some time before gaming online of this scale can never mind will happen. TBH tho i would like to see it happening purely from an engineering point of view. Its a massive undertaking and the whole software engineering side to improve data transmission facinates me.

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Metered Internet would absolutely kill this service. I think bandwidth is the limiting factor here, and having servers within 1000 miles of where you are due to latency. Still, watching the videos is interesting. They really seem to at least look at most of the concerns I would have with this service from a technical perspective such as packet loss, reordering, and latency, but I just don't know if something like this can be economically fee sable and still deliver games that look as good as they would running off a mid range card like a 5770. I'm guess that asking it to deliver the visuals like my 5870 can may be a bit too much :D.

teslaxero

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
So the several thousand dollar investment I made on the latest hardware and monitor gets me 720p on a game I don't own? No thank you!

TheEvolution

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
Talk about "Streaming" then its a dream for me cos I live in India.
Each and every ISP in India sucks in their own way.
These ISPs are the worst in the worlds in term of anything.
Trust me they will make your life miserable......

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I can't believe that companies are willing to stake their futures on the unreliability of the internet. I've sampled the internet in lots of places around the country and it just isn't reliable enough. Too many outages, too many variations in speed, etc. I'm in a big city and have a major ISP service at home, and a major ISP service at work, and neither is reliable. They both fail multiple times per week.

JD13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I think what needs to happen first; is that the internet providers need to step up on upgrades first. Most networks are over loaded & if this is to happen you will need more band width first.

thearm

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
I guess as long as they offer refunds, I'm with it. I will never buy a game again from Steam because of their no refund policy.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I can see why the publishers are intressted, no piracy at all. Greater revenue pictures ect wich i dont deny them.

BUT what about the consumers? If this service offered to play games in up to 1600p (2560x1600) and near zero latency wich is pretty much impossible with todays internet it could have been intresting.

Just bought Assassins Creed 2 and it really proved how far a company is willing to alienate its customers in the name of revenue (while the pirates plays without issues ofcorse). Its a singleplayer game that requires active internet connection to play. UBI already had their servers go down once within the first day, next time it was an isp isse and then? Likely it will be an UBI the next time since they wont sell any more game to me with this insane drm!

The above just proves how dependant you are if a service requires an active connection to play the game you paid for! NO THANKS!

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]enzo matrix[/nom]Edit: I meant 0.08s[/citation]

80ms OMG, thats ridiculously slow.

I wouldnt be able to play CSS with over 30ms.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]FloKid[/nom]Holly cow. I am signing up. Why pay $3000 for a top of a line end game PC if you can't even play some games at max res on it anyways. I just wish they would support 3D gaming in the near future.[/citation]

If you cant max everything out with 100+ FPS on a 3000$ PC, you fail epically.

i7-920 @ 4.2GHZ liquid cooled?

drksilenc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
lol i max out everything on my 1800$ amd rig right now? this is why if your worried about cost dont by intel... dragon platform overclocked to a steady 4.5ghz and 8gb ram 2 radion 5870s...

jamezrp

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
[citation][nom]stevefosterl7[/nom]Even if all the rendering etc is done on there servers, are they seriously suggesting it will work on any old computer. What happens if you have a pentium 3 with 64mb ram? Is it still going to run perfectly on that?How long before "Any Computer" is redefined to mean a minimum of 2gb ram and a really decent video card?[/citation]

It won't work on any old computer. For instance, it won't work on netbooks generally speaking. I'm actually not allowed to discuss the requirements for running OnLive, but let's just say if your computer isn't 5-7 years old or older, chances are you can run it without a hitch. The bigger problem will be your internet connection.

jamezrp

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
[citation][nom]xenol[/nom]How would multiplayer games work on On Live?[/citation]

Multiplayer works just like it would over Xbox Live or any dedicated server. You're just playing on their servers like before, only multiple people are on the same server or server cluster running that particular game.

[citation][nom]cadder[/nom]I can't believe that companies are willing to stake their futures on the unreliability of the internet. I've sampled the internet in lots of places around the country and it just isn't reliable enough. Too many outages, too many variations in speed, etc. I'm in a big city and have a major ISP service at home, and a major ISP service at work, and neither is reliable. They both fail multiple times per week.[/citation]

Why wouldn't they? They aren't losing anything by trying out the service, and if it proves successful, then they'll have helped pioneer it and undoubtedly made some money by using it. Really, guys like EA and Ubisoft aren't spending a dime to get their games on the service.

Status
Not open for further replies.