OnLive Games: The Cloud Is Coming

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IFLATLINEI

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
"this thing is going to rock. i know i will give it a try. for 14.99 a month you would have to be crazy not to try it out."

Then I must be crazy. Onlive is a loser. Not only is it a loser its just unnecessary. Not only is it a loser and unnecessary The Major ISP's are going to have a fit. They think traffic is unbearable now (B.S.) what if there was a couple thousand of Onlive gamers streaming Crysis. I know STOP LAUGHING! Im just saying what if?

zerghumper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
So the future of mainstream gaming is one where I don't get to own the games I purchased and that my play time is at the mercy of some soon-to-be overloaded servers? No thanks!

If you think I'm overreacting just look at what happened when Ubisoft's DRM servers went down. Now just think that if one server goes down, you would no longer have access to any
of your games for a few hours or even a few days.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
i can see this being a bust simply for the fact that most people who get it will not have a good broadband connection. maybe when fiber is common then they may not have to worry about something like this.

jamezrp

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]i can see this being a bust simply for the fact that most people who get it will not have a good broadband connection. maybe when fiber is common then they may not have to worry about something like this.[/citation]

Internet speed is an issue, but they'll have tools upon release so you can see what kind of service you'll be getting, and under what conditions. So even if you're unsure, you can test it out before buying.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
something like this may have its advantages though. if it is just a game streaming from a supercomputer that is a thousand times better than any gaming PC then there may be no limits to what graphics the games could have. no more waiting for the next generation gaming console or new CPU or GPU to see better graphics

Userremoved

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]something like this may have its advantages though. if it is just a game streaming from a supercomputer that is a thousand times better than any gaming PC then there may be no limits to what graphics the games could have. no more waiting for the next generation gaming console or new CPU or GPU to see better graphics[/citation]
Yeah but servers are gonna be jammed and by stooping your subscription you loose your games.

jamezrp

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
[citation][nom]Userremoved[/nom]Yeah but servers are gonna be jammed and by stooping your subscription you loose your games.[/citation]

What makes you say that? About the servers being jammed, I mean.

Userremoved

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
[citation][nom]jamezrp[/nom]What makes you say that? About the servers being jammed, I mean.[/citation]
Game servers usually lag when lots of people are on it.

jamezrp

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
[citation][nom]Userremoved[/nom]Game servers usually lag when lots of people are on it.[/citation]

Right, except these are built specifically for lots, and lots and lots, of people. So unless there is some crazy number of starting subscribers, I don't know that it'll be a problem.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Userremoved[/nom]Game servers usually lag when lots of people are on it.[/citation]

gee you really think they don't know that. unless this really is being designed by kids in the 2nd grade

Userremoved

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
[citation][nom]jamezrp[/nom]Right, except these are built specifically for lots, and lots and lots, of people. So unless there is some crazy number of starting subscribers, I don't know that it'll be a problem.[/citation]
True
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]gee you really think they don't know that. unless this really is being designed by kids in the 2nd grade[/citation]
Plastic harmer power go!

Kahless01

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
Math isnt a strong suit for a lot of you. you dont really own the games anyway as many of you have seen with the drm problems going around now. You own a license for the game and the disc is just the easiest way to get it on to your system. $250-600 for a console, 40$ for a controller. if they can get ps3 controllers to work on this so i dont have to buy one even better. figure games these days are 50-60$ or more for "legendary" editions one game is 4 months of service. february alone had several good games released at the same time. i can think of at least 3 i would have liked to buy. so 180$ in a week or two for games that i could have payed 15$ to play onlive and tried all 3 in the same month. i moved from a desktop to a laptop 2 yrs ago and of course with a 2yr old laptop my gaming options are limited. this service has a chance to be something to get me going again. wont have to worry about paying 60 for a game then 40 for an expansion every 10-12 months. or 60 for each race to play starcraft 2. 15$ a month, most of you probably pay more to watch TV on your 2.5" screened cell phones, or get unlimited text messages on it.

jamezrp

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
I agree Kahless01, but sadly we don't know exactly what the cost will be for OnLive. The subscription is $15/month, which is realistically better than putting down $3-400 on a new console and spare controller/videocard because you have that money to invest. Realistically, the more money you have in hand, the better off you are because of that ability to invest it.

And, in fact, most games released for OnLive will probably be $50, because it earns both the publisher and OnLive more than a physical $60 game, and of course publishers need to offer an incentive for people to switch over.

The problem is most people don't think economically these days. If someone gathered up $400 to put down on a new console/videocard and suddenly has the option to keep it, instead spending just $15/month for the exact same thing, they'll likely go spend that money elsewhere instead of putting it to good use.

So yes, while technically OnLive is more expensive in the long run and the smart consumer will actually have more purchasing power because they are wisely spending money on a service and investing the extra money they have, realistically, they won't invest the money anyways and will just end up spending much, much more. In fact, that's partly why people are afraid of subscription-based services, because it's so easy to put off because there are more important things to put your money towards.

A sad, sad truth.

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
[citation][nom]math1337[/nom]My "any computer" with a celeron and 1GB ram cannot even watch youtube at 720p without lagging(I let the video load, so it is not the internet connection), so how is is it supposed to stream the video and send input back to the server faster than a decent pc can render normally?[/citation]
If you can't watch youtube at 720p what makes you think you can watch OnLive's streaming games at 720p?

madwheels

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
What in God's name are most of you talking about?The guy who is the CEO of the OnLive has been pushing this idea for quite sometime,Don't you think that all has been taking into figuring out the math to make this possible?Well he has,and i don't doubt it for one second that this new Clouding will work.As_a_matter_of_fact it will work.After hearing it from the designer they'll be able to take care of any type of device you play with online,and since it's safing money on the part of the Designer's this problem of different platform's doesn't exist.Your downloading the game right from OnLive and you can play until you get tried or want to play a other and all it takes is the new box they have to connect right to your DSL or Console ETC......No more having to wait.This maybe the next step in modern GAMING?Just Checkout this site,it's free.. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/fo [...] esentation

john5246

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Great concept but it's too ahead of it's time and the business model won't work for those types of gamers. You can either pay $14 a month like a sucker or just download the game for free and play it whenever you feel like it.

The internet is not ready for this just yet. Maybe in 5yrs it will be but don't expect to play much more than tetris without trouble.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
It would be alright if the $15 monthly fee got you access to games off the bat, kinda like how Gametap works, but having to pay that and then pay for the games... I just don't see this going anywhere. But then again stranger things have happened.

lukeeu

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
[citation][nom]rbarone69[/nom]wow... Their sending commands over UDP? I mean that doesn't sound smart to me. Packet loss wouldnt be such a problem if they were using TCP for commands and UDP for streaming vid.What would seem to be more of an issue is latency caused by full queues at the receiver end dropping packets because of congestion.In any case, I'd be impressed to see a FPS playing well without considerable input lag. I'll probably sign up for this to try it out![/citation] there is no way they'd waste a whole 16 byte UDP packet to send a single 1 byte keystroke. I'm sure they'll send complete state of the keyboard, mouse and game controller with a time stamp, put it in a (less than)44 byte UDP packet(done the math) and use the newest state in the game. (sorry. forum ate my post at the less then sign)

Status
Not open for further replies.