OnLive Games: The Cloud Is Coming

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the_ub

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
Well, acknowledging american broadband infrastructure, i cant see how this could have come much sooner, as we all know we lag in that department. streaming hi-res/high-fps games is pretty taxing of the connection.
As for the lag issue, yea, it will be an issue (unless they add auto-aim!.....j/k) but it wont be all FPS's im sure. that 1/5th of a second delay cited from Ramar wont matter at all if your playing world in conflict, or god of war or anything like that.
But all in all, i dont think this is for me, i agree with kami3k in that i like owning the actual hard copy, not just rights and agreements. we'll see though, it may prove to be too good to pass up.

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
The other major deal about this is that actual gamers do like owning good hardware to game on it.
It's not that we die to stop buying stuff, i love putting the hardware together, i mean it's what i love the most, gaming it's a secondary effect :p
Plus i don't know, this system needs a real good connection to work, i can't imagine a MMORPG with this system, how the servers are going to deal with the massive amount of players all of them running the game. I don't really see how this can be possible.

roltzje

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Meh $540 every 3 years means some really hefty upgrades for any computer user. Especially since the 'average' hardware price falls all the time (15 years ago a typical computer was $1500, now its $700-800). Right now with anyone that has a regular pc, they can slap down $150 for a Radeon 5770 and play most games on max details at 1920x1080 (which I assume is what online will offer.. what if someone wants to do 3 monitors?).. for the next 2 years. Then in 2 years they could get a new card if they need to. Of course they would have to upgrade other components, but they would be doing this anyway since you have to use a computer to play.

G

Hey if Onlive doesn't force you into a contract, I wouldn't mind paying $15.00 for 1 month of play. This could be like "renting" unlimited games for a month.

My only concern for Onlive's services are the games offered.

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

It's like Ubisofts DRM, but in hardware form. What happens when the connection gets interupted? What happens when a game like metro 2033 comes out and the game can barely run on new hardware? What happens when half the gamers are trying to run metro and the other half are trying to run crysis 2? Gonna either scale the video down to 640 x 400 or gonna get 1fps or gonna have a meltdown.

This is absolutely great for people who want to upgrade from the nintendo Gamecube, but here in reality it's not what people "REALLY" want. I can't wait to see how they try to upgrade all those computers.

Bet "onlive" is gonna try to buy out all the fermi cards to upgrade there systems. :(

amlunmimnulma

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Otoy and in the near future Onlive will offer games that cannot, absolutely cannot be played on a local system because no local system would even have remotely enough power. A ten pack Open Streaming server can handle a game engine 30 thousand times what a PS3 could handle even in theory- they only need serve portals on that. PS3 becomes obsolete the instant these services demostrate their reality at best a PS3 would just be a very energy in efficient micro console for streaming such a service. So this goes way beyond having access to AAA titles. This also instantly becomes the lead developer platform instantly. Who wants to do tiny shovelware engines for consoles when they can access to something so much better?

MS is not at risk its been working on becoming a cloud centric computer and bringing 360 fully into the cloud per recent company diagrams (see the Ozzymandias site.) Sony is just as lost a usual.

Soon, regardless of court decisions there will be one ad free subscripting that provides everything and countless such services available across the globe. It's to late to put this genie back in the bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.