Solved! Only rear and centre speaker setup

Oct 10, 2018
Hi,
I'm looking to set up a system with only 2 rear speakers and one centre speaker (all built in). There are no other options, I can't have a subwoofer, can't add any more speakers, this is how the beans fell and I have to work with this setup. My question is, how would I go around connecting these to a 5.1 amp? Centre is clear, but if I connect rear speakers into connections for rear channel, will I lose a lot without having front left and right speakers connected? Any other suggestions?

2 x 6.5 inch in wall for rear and 1 x MTM in wall for centre
https://www.amazon.ca/Micca-M-6C-6-5-Inch-Ceiling-Pivoting/dp/B0047PO2Z8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1539198186&sr=8-2&keywords=micca%2Bm-8c&th=1

Solution

I would not connect things they way you have it setup...
You can't really use center channel in your case without losing rear info. Check your 5.1 system and see what options it has. I really don't get what you mean by "rear speakers without fronts", the only thing that makes them rear speakers is the placement of them really. Yes in some setups the rear speakers are smaller, but that is the design. It's like having a left and right Twix. If you just setup the system as rear and center you will be missing a lot of sound info. The rear audio channels in the mix is mostly background info like cars driving around or someone running in from behind.

Oct 10, 2018
Thanks for the reply:
"I really don't get what you mean by "rear speakers without fronts" - so basically I'll have 2 speakers behind me and one center speaker dead in front of me. How would you connect this?

I don't understand, you say "the only thing that makes them rear speakers is the placement of them really" making me think that front and rear right have same signal coming in and then you say "If you just setup the system as rear and center you will be missing a lot of sound info", which is not great for me :). Do you see any way these 3 speakers can be connected to provide any type of surround? Should I go with a stereo receiver? How to connect the center speaker then?

I would not connect things they way you have it setup, just use the TV speakers or get a sound bar instead of this center speaker. If you setup the rear speakers as the left/right speakers it will sound very odd since the sound we be coming from behind you instead of the image. You can connect them up the way they are, but likely just the TV speakers would be better than using only rear speakers. And the center speaker would be made for a single channel audio setup so you probably only have a single input on it. Buy a $50 soundbar and use it where the center speaker is now or just use the TV speakers. Or rotate the room layout so TV is facing the rear speakers.

Solution
I have 2 fronts placed as side speakers 'cuz I listen to them at low vol in the bedroom and want them to be closer than the normal front positions. They work but one set of spkrs in particular if am not sitting dead center am not getting a balanced sound.