OnStar's Text-to-Speech App Reads Your Texts

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolvoodoo

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
I can do that now on my Droid 2 (Froyo) with Motospeak or DriveSafe.ly and my Motorola H17 bluetooth. It can read you your text messages and/or email. It works really well most of the time. You can even send back a prewritten auto response if you want, although I find that that just confuses people most of the time....

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
I text one handed while riding my harley drunk and smoking a cigar without a helmet and no mufflers. But only when I'm not doing a wheelie.

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
[citation][nom]loomis86[/nom]I text one handed while riding my harley drunk and smoking a cigar without a helmet and no mufflers. But only when I'm not doing a wheelie.[/citation]

Oh man. I'd pay to see this.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
the only problem is people rarely write in a normal language

it is mostly a weird shorthand version of words that a text to speech cant read and instead will resort to spelling them out making messages really hard to understand.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]Cool, also this spam is getting out of control.[/citation]

the spam is due to the registration process of not having an effective captcha

depending on how many users register to the site a day, theres a good solution to the spam problem. It is done over at consumerist. They got more moderators. they then added a screen process where after registering, user comments are cued up. the moderator is able to see the message in a special page which just has a ton of comments and their respecting articles. based on the message, the moderator can either allow or ban the user. If the user is allowed, all comments they made will automatically be posted in all of the articles that they tried to post in.

the captcha stops robot spammers, the moderators stop the human spammers, long before they make it on the public comments.

Most of the spammers here are robot spammers. there are ad services that you can pay and they will spam your site on news sites, and also submit stories on digg and reddit and many other places. tomshardware seems to be the only place that has failed to deal with the spammers.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Irresponsible, agreed. But immoral? Slow down...

The idea is very simple, but great. As it's been pointed out, text messages are more abreviations and symbols than actual text, but since it's a "standardized" method of writing, I guess the software can translate it to normal speech with 80-90% accuracy.

danny69t

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
my nokia n97 mini does read new sms(i did not try emails) within the OS, no app needed. should this be a breakthrough? LOLz

Status
Not open for further replies.