Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnyrb

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
I have been using Open DNS for a while now. I have looked through and through this software looking for the ability to "allow" certain web pages based upon a username or MAC address, However this seems to not be an option. i.e. Allow upper management to have access to Youtube, while not allowing the standard user to access it.

Does anyone know a work around, or other software that would allow a more customizable approach to this?

Thanks

Solution
I believe that has to be done locally at your router. For example, my Netgear router uses OpenDNS to block sites, and I can tailor it to allow some IP addresses to access more sites than others.

Hawkeye22

Distinguished
From what I've read, using a 3rd party DNS isn't always best when using streaming video services. These services use your DNS to determine your location and stream from the nearest CDN (content delivery network). If the opendns server is further away than your ISP's dns server streaming may be hindered.

Here is a link of people discussing this.

http://forums.opendns.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=8380

Edit:
I forgot to mention that I used to have problems streaming netflix. It used to pause and rebuffer a lot. When I switched the DNS in my router to my ISP (time warner), I had absolutely no problems with netflix. It was an immediate improvement, much to my surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.