Open headset/headphones + mic for 150 or less

AdamTomasson

Estimable
Jul 30, 2015
Hello I'm looking for an open headset or headphones + mic

Since I found no open headset I started looking for headphones and found "ATH-AD500X Audiophile" for 130euros. Are they anything good? Mostly going to use them for gaming. I dont know much about audio,actually close to nothing but do I need an amp for those or how does it work?

Another candidate would be hd558 sennheiser (refurbished are around 100 and the others are 130)

Also sennheiser hd598 refurbished for 130. Just hd598 is 150 but maybe it's worth going over my budget some?

I'm not really sold on t ATH-AD500X Audiophile

Im not sold on any of them so if anyone can recommend any of them or anything else I'd appreciate it.

Got a buget of 150-160 euros-ish( would also like to get a mic for that money)

Thanks.

Solution
you found no open headsets?

ath-adg1 is open (based on ad500x/700x) but is too expensive.
game one is open (based on hd518/558/598)

ad500x is a good choice for fps gaming. absolutely huge soundstage (how well you can tell "distance" sounds are coming from) good positional audio (how well you can pinpoint where sound are coming from) as well as a bass light treble/mid focused sound which means you hear details you need without bass covering that up. comfortable earcups and generally comfortable and lightweight feeling if you like the headband design (some love it, some hate it). while the cans are good for gaming, due to the sound signature they arent the most exciting sounding cans out there but that comes with the territory...
you found no open headsets?

ath-adg1 is open (based on ad500x/700x) but is too expensive.
game one is open (based on hd518/558/598)

ad500x is a good choice for fps gaming. absolutely huge soundstage (how well you can tell "distance" sounds are coming from) good positional audio (how well you can pinpoint where sound are coming from) as well as a bass light treble/mid focused sound which means you hear details you need without bass covering that up. comfortable earcups and generally comfortable and lightweight feeling if you like the headband design (some love it, some hate it). while the cans are good for gaming, due to the sound signature they arent the most exciting sounding cans out there but that comes with the territory.

hd518/558/598 share the same drivers and generally the same sound signature. the difference is in the pads used (hd518 has small pads, hd598 has bigger pads), build quality (hd518 is a bit cheap, hd598 is better), colors and that towards the 518 its a bit more bassy with smaller soundstage and towards the 598 you get more neutral and bigger soundstage. not big changes in sound signature but noticible in build quality. the hd558 is a good midway choice as it has better pads than the 518 yet is still cheaper than the 598. overall sound signature for the line is fairly neutral/flat. they are a bit laid back and slow which makes them good for easy listening for hours (for those long gaming sessions) but arent quite as articulate as some other cans.

both are not terribly hard to drive. only devices with very bad amplifiers tend to not be able to power them. if you needed a soundcard even a cheap DG will do more than required.

as for microphones, the modmic is the go to choice although you could certainly pick up a zm-1 if you dont care about audio quality. its cheap and crap but works if you dont care. the modmic is a more quality device and sounds reasonbly well like most other decent quality headsets do.

Solution