Opera CEO Says We Don't Need Silly Flash

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]nukem950[/nom]For me, Java games have usually been much slower than flash games. This is especially true when Java has to boot up first.Also, I have flash block, so I do not care about how much flash is on a site.I want to know how to make quick easy games without flash.[/citation]
I really hope that HTML5 gaming != current Java gaming. Java browser games run terribly slow if they even work at all. Actually, having worked with Java for a few years, it is just slow in general compared to other modern languages. I kinda like developing in Java, but the performance is sub-par.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
I agree with the Opera CEO. But I do wish they'd fix the memory issues in 10.5.

Also, I'm ditching Flash the second that it becomes feasible.

victomofreality

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]I don't like flash-y sites myself, but this article sounds like toms (?) pro-apple propaganda, nothing else. We know for quite a while, what can and what can not be done without flash. Try to "easily" give user feedback about the uploaded files, for example.And how many users use browsers that fully support HTML5? 0%? Thanks.[/citation]

Pro-apple propaganda machine? Everyone is shifting to html5 even Microsoft's next IE will support only html5 http://www.tomshardware.com/news/html5-flash-video-youtube-gpgpu,10321.html

i_like_pie

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
There's a whole different side to the flash framework that many seem to overlook, it IS a powerful application development tool that is continuing to evolve. FedEx for example, is utilizing the flash framework to track in real-time their shipping fleet - Their app shows where they are on an interactive map, estimated time to arrival, it even shows the temperature of their shipping trucks (if they are transporting heat sensitive materials, etc), everything in real-time, wrapped in a very slick GUI. They did an amazing job leveraging the framework. Several other companies are doing the same.

Unfortunately, or fortunately depending how you look at it, flash is a very versatile tool - this versatility however, allows advertisers to abuse it. As a development framework, flash is quite powerful, as a media player/deliverer, however, it is only as secure/stable as the 'developer' writing the code. And this 'developer' can be any old joe schmoe who could care less how secure/stable 'their' program is.

gwwerner

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Now we can look forward to html5 ads. If they load faster and cause fewer complaints would that lead to more ads? Will we be able to block the ads?
I tried using html5 on youtube with chrome, but it was too buggy. It may be the future, but it's not ready yet.

G

HTML5 is the future -- I'm totally on that bandwagon. The more confidence people have in HTML5 the more people will use it and the faster it will take off. Enough confidence and support and it will replace flash. Adobe said themselves that the point of flash is to do what HTML4 and javascript fail to do.

I myself have been longing for a replacement of flash for years. Flash was a necessary evil though. Godspeed HTML5!

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
I hate java programs as mentioned above they run slow and are buggy. programing java is a pain i hate it almost as much as i dislike flash. I hope flash disappears soon, but in reality it will be around for a long time. i just hope flash only stays around for flash games...which i never play.

Html5 will replace flash for videos that's a certainty.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]joeblowschmoe[/nom]Fix your memory leaks Opera.Then talk about innovation.[/citation]
No joke! Especially in the mobile arena. Opera Mobile 10 is kind of a PITA.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]usersname[/nom]Before anyone mentions the need for Flash to play sophisticated internetty games...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhM [...] r_embedded[/citation]Wow, they managed to get an absolutely ancient game to run poorly on a modern machine. I'm impressed... and not in a good way. Don't show that video to anyone unless you're trying to turn them AGAINST the idea of flash for games.

Not to mention... in that port... WebGL is doing the heavy lifting. :{

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
Err, against the idea of HTML5 games. I think a Flash port would actually run better, based on what I've seen in terms of complex flash games.

DawnTreader

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
Where do these people go to experience laggy and buggy flash content? I have never had any of the kinds of experience that i read about, am i the only one who thinks that this is a minority thing or maybe a pebcak?

dragunover

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Blessedman[/nom]We need polls on Toms Hardware, like who uses Opera.[/citation]
I definitely do.
Of course, I also run the Firefox/Chrome beta & alpha.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
lol what a joke, so they hard coded in a bunch of functions that flash is commonly used for and now they think they are better than flash??

maybe, until someone wants to do something slightly different to what your hardcoded solution allows...

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]starryman[/nom]Fine... HTML5, CSS, and Javascript can do what Flash can do but... almost any good or fun site uses Flash. So why not just support for both? Flash has been around for a long time and in almost all cases it is not taxing on computers. At least with Flash their's no need to start the plugin like Java. Just support Flash and when Flash flatlines don't support it. Lots of excuses in my book...[/citation]

Not taxing? Oh yes it is. I notice insane increases in CPU usage on my quad core gaming rig and on my Macbook Pro CPU usage goes above 100% if I'm ever using flash. The best thing about flash is that I can disable it on all of my browsers. If it were available on my mobile phone I would completely disable it there as well. I'm fine missing out on advertisements, security issues, and all the negatives that come with flash. I've honestly not missed it on any of my mobile phones.

Hasse

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Just what the web need, more standards to make things more complex. Opera, sigh, a bunch of whiny Norwegians complaining about not being able to spread their horrible browser. I've been using Opera since the start since I'm a Norwegian myself (support and what not a Norwegian product..) alas, I cannot anymore. Chrome and Firefox, anything else is a downgrade.. And their mobile browser is completely useless, tried it on iPhone and windows mobile 6, both completely useless and sadly IE was better on winme6 and safari beat opera by a mile. On my nokia N97 the built in browser works ALOT better than opera mini, not only is it faster, it also displays more content... Flash gets updated alot, it's not open, it's archaic, but it's well supported and has permeated the web so much that a web without it is not the web.. If Adobe only fixed the performance issues and bugs, it would be a real smack in the face to the anti flash group.

jamie_macdonald

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
Opera is hardly "one to talk" eh ...Seems they are just as unskilled as Apple at gettign flash to work (you would think being coders they woul have some insight).

A Typical "we cant *(or are not intelligant enough to) get it to work so it's not our fault" attitude. ..what a pile of poop!

Opera is lame, completely dead, just because they now have a small amount of hits from the EU's splash screen does not mean they are competent to judge. They are even further behind the time than adobe (and they are far enough lol).

Fashionhate seems to be the "in thing" lately ...why not jsut gang up on someone that's innovated and made our web the way it is today ...i remember basic html and just java it was .. awful ...it's not the software as such it's the people who make the sites. well imo anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS