Opera CEO Says We Don't Need Silly Flash

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wifiwolf

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Flash is a heavy software when you have unoptimised content. If designers take some time optimising them, it's not heavy at all. The problem is that most advertisers just care for it done as quick as possible and with bells and whistles flying all over the place. I've been developing with flash for a long time now and there's no netbook crashing with my content.
Adobe is taking more time than it should to optimise the whole engine but that's the price you pay when your software is grown to something bigger than what it was designed for in the beginning.
Yes, everything you can do in flash can be done with html+css+javascript and you can even add it java. The difference is that you need a designers team working in collaboration with a developers team for something you could do in an hour and another hour optimising.

G

@1337_b0i

Flash was supposed to have been killed off several times before. If history is any indication to the future, browser makers will all implement the HTML5 standard differently while we all wait for the official "standard." This will again lead to a fragmented html/javascript/css development environment with the poor suckers that do it testing on even more browsers now that chrome and safari are a little more mainstream on the PC.

After all the fanbois quiet down, flash and html5 will coexist peacefully in everyone's browsers. I find it it interesting that while numerous open source advocates want to replace flash, they forget that no one would know what they wanted in html5 except for the fact that flash innovated those features. If flash hadn't been around, web development would probably still be in the stone ages.

Lastly, for everyone else, including the author, the flash runtime isn't bulky and laggy or anymore buggy than current implementations of javascript. Inexperienced developers can officially write crap in any language. If HTML5/CSS/Javascript did replace flash, you'd still all be complaining about all the sucky code on the web, you just wouldn't have a scapegoat anymore.

2zao

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
FLASH is awesome...

but i am also perfectly content with seeing the end of it... especially with the lag issues, and with the fact that ADOBE is now working on an HTML5 program to join their suite

G

"We can do anything Flash can do in HTML5, CSS and JavaScript"

If that's the case, why don't you show us? Oh right, you can't.

G

He honestly said that people don't need Flash because they get by without it in Opera Mini? What a twit. By that logic, people don't need video, or javascript, or more than one font, or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS