Opera Mini for iPhone Ruling the App Store

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tedders

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Opera is nice and all, but it doesn't use a lot of the mobile sites that websites have out there. Like ESPN, you use Safari and it has their nice mobile site, but if you use Opera it uses their really old mobile site. I am not sure if this is something Opera needs to fix or the websites themselves need to fix. It pretty much ruins the experience for me.

slaphappy

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
[citation][nom]Tedders[/nom]Opera is nice and all, but it doesn't use a lot of the mobile sites that websites have out there. Like ESPN, you use Safari and it has their nice mobile site, but if you use Opera it uses their really old mobile site. I am not sure if this is something Opera needs to fix or the websites themselves need to fix. It pretty much ruins the experience for me.[/citation]
I think this has something to do with how the site identifies the browser. ESPN has a custom portal just for iPhone users, another portal for generic mobile users, and finally the standard portal for any desktop users. A few sites I frequent are also recognizing Opera mini as just a "mobile browser" when I know they offer iPhone customized versions.

I also think there is a way to disable this, so your browser is seen as a desktop browser and all sites load like they would on your desktop.

pito

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
It doesn't work 100% in all the web sites, like watching videos or enlarging pics, etc. but it's WAY FASTER than safari.

mauller07

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
i would like to see how mobile firefox (forgot what there calling it) performs in the wild. would be ossum if it had addon capabilities as the full fledged browser.

Dawgsoverrebs

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
[citation][nom]serkol[/nom]Does anybody know where I can see all these international AppStore charts together on one page?[/citation]

Go to engadget.com a top story yesterday

mosfet74

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Safari replaced. Good riddance. There is no comparing the speed of these two browsers. For the websites I frequent, it meets and exceeds my expectations.

mosfet74

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Safari replaced. Good riddance. There is no comparing the speed of these two browsers. For the websites I frequent, it meets and exceeds my expectations.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Is Safari really that bad? I have Opera on my WM6.1 phone and it is only a tiny bit better than IE, but still it is very slow and frustrating to use. If Safari is worse than this then that is really saying something. Maybe I should reconsider getting an iphone.

onekill

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Lol, people replacing Safari with this? Lol, clearly you guys don't get it. With multi touch in the app, no spell correction and the text not pre rendered, forcing you to zoom to a semi rediculous level, Safari is king. If your on 3g, and have good signal ( I do 90% of the time) safari wins on speed as well, 2-3 seconds faster and on a few sites it takes more like 10-20 seconds longer. I have both browsers and I use opera that ~10% when I have bad service, but I long for the simplicity for safari

boredreader

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
I like the speed on it, but I don't like the way it renders the web page. Opera Mini renders the page in a way that when you zoom in it fits nicely on your screen. If you're on a page that is much wider, it gets compressed or cut off. I say this because its not like Safari where you can zoom in and out at any level. Opera Mini only zoom in and zoom out at one level so its either up close or full screen as with safari you can zoom in to any level you desire.

Beyond that, it is a good alternative

gpace

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
I had Opera Mobile on my Dell Axim PPC and I found it better then IE (no surprise, this was also back in late 2008/early 2009 on a PPC that came out in 2004, 64mb ram, 624 mhz).

Double tap to zoom, move around screen to scroll, and hold down for "right click". Most sites loaded like it was on a desktop. IMO a good alternative to Safari.

Status
Not open for further replies.