Opera Shows Apple a Better iPhone Web Browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

coonday

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Very nicely done. Let us now just hope it's free, or at least reasonably priced. I heard no mentioning of price in the video.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Holy crap... that not only kills safari but kills every other browser out there too. I want to see it support some login pages though...

[citation][nom]werxen[/nom]Holy crap... that not only kills safari but kills every other browser out there too. I want to see it support some login pages though...[/citation]

That's the problem I always had with Opera. Everything goes great until you try to log in to Bank of America or some other financial site and get hit with a not supported browser prompt. Though it was much worse a few years ago when only IE was supported at many of these sites.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Okay, just watched the video...

Cool, I want it too... if I had an iphone or smart-phone that could use the Opera Mini browser ;)

Opera rocks kind of like that too on Windows (most likely the same on Mac). You can pull tabs off (into their own window) as well as bring them back.

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
Everytime I would log on to Paypal or Wachovia I would have problems with opera for my helio Ocean. For paypal it would deactivate my paypal account and say that suspicious activity has been noticed and that I have to go through the security questions and set up a new password. For wachovia a few days after I upgraded to the newest version of Opera Wachovia said they would not be supporting Opera any longer and that I cant access my banking via opera in 2/3 days. I dont really care their gonna cancel the Helio Ocean in May since Sprint Purchased Virgin Mobile Which Purchased Helio. On my PC Opera is Faster than the Safari and IE8.

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
Their gonna reject the app for whatever BS they choose to do so with and they'll just use the server-side tricks to get the iphone faster and call it a new 4G model.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]velocityg4[/nom]That's the problem I always had with Opera. Everything goes great until you try to log in to Bank of America or some other financial site and get hit with a not supported browser prompt. Though it was much worse a few years ago when only IE was supported at many of these sites.[/citation]

Many banks and sites work fine with Opera, Firefox, etc. Only a few JERK sites force that or stupid sites using old MS servers, who knows. But as of now, even Microsoft.com has to work nice with non IE servers (about time). Now some MS-Specific editing sites for web-sites, custom software may lock down to IE and/or FireFox.

As long as IE continues to lose market share (and it should - its a crappy butt-ugly browser) what few hold-out sites should get their act together.

nukem950

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
That is amazing in itself.

Does Opera mini support scroll boxes? I never seen one work in safari.

Also, if this works, will this mean flash would be on its way?

G

Opera just kicked apple to the curb. I wouldn't be surprised if they launched their own smartphone. Hell, I'd buy one. I only use the damn safari browser because it was "bundled" with the iphone. I should totally sue apple for forcing me to use safari. ballet box anyone?

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
[citation][nom]nukem950[/nom]That is amazing in itself. Does Opera mini support scroll boxes? I never seen one work in safari.Also, if this works, will this mean flash would be on its way?[/citation]

If it's like the older Mini 4, then it would run off of the JVM. It would then mean, no, it would not support flash.

Opera Mobile however is based-on C and made for specific devices, and it has flash.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
It seems plausible that a third party browser could include flash and it would just be installed during the regular app installation. Ignoring the fact that Apple would never allow another browser on the app store am I wrong in thinking it is possible to package flash in the browser and have them both download and install at the same time?

Status
Not open for further replies.