'Operation Payback' Booted from Twitter, Facebook

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Dear F-14: The most threatened thing by release of this information so far, is the livelihood of our elected officials.

either way this guy and anyone connected with him and the information he has is going to disappear or wind up dead very soon.

So you are proposing that government is willing to assassinate everyone connected to this organization to keep the truth buried.

.toms hyper link add in did not work
Quoting laws on Treason would only be applicable if this man were American. He is Australian, learn to read.

Please speak your mind
You sir are a tool, in my opinion. When trying to convey your opinion, try to use punctuation. It would make you look more educated than your trailer park upbringing if you pasted into word and hit the spell check button. In closing, this entire debacle is embarrassing.

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
@ F-14;

All that stuff that you just spewed there is great and all, good research.. The problem is just that though. Congress has modified the constitution so many times now it's absurd. They have modified it to where they can officially do what ever the heck they want and get away with it.

I'm talking about the original Constitution not their version, the people that are raping and pillaging our country right now. I like how you added in the fact that I had brought up earlier in regards to being assassinated for exorcising our given right to free press and freedom of speech..

No matter what you say it's right in every ones faces now plain as day and guess what, people are starting to pay more attention which IMO is what Assange is attempting to do here,make people pay more attention to what the government is doing right behind our backs.

Now if you would like to comment on my little fact and what facts you know about it that would be awesome. I'm referring to the fact that our Government broke laws to help some rich arse with politicians in his pocket get a picture back. Which is turn was helping the Swiss Government illegally get a treasure that the treasure hunting company rightfully found and claimed.

Thus putting in Jeopardy allot of jobs that this company created for this adventure which they embarked on.

The funny thing is that it was run on MSNBC but the comments were disabled so no one could comment on the story, That is a perfect example of our Government at work.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]truehighroller[/nom]This is how I feel about the whole situation, ok. No one has the right to tell me or any one else what we can or can't do if it isn't harming any one else. I also feel that we should be able to say what we feel like saying with out being arrested or worse assassinated. I also feel that our constitution states that the Government that represents us is not aloud to lie to our faces and tell us what to think and what to say. They're also supposed to not allow corruption to happen or abuses of power. Apparently according to these leaked cables that they don't want us seeing or hearing about, they're obviously doing exactly just that, abusing their powers. Our Government "illegally" helped the Swiss Government get a hold of papers on a company that searches for lost treasures in exchange for a painting that a rich person over here says was stolen from him by the Nazis back in the day of the war with them. So they just straight bent the law for some rich arse over here in our country because he has some connections in the Government, obviously because he is supplying some people with money from his pocket. I don't see our government helping me out with my issues and breaking laws for me to do so. Then again, guess I don't have much money to give them huh??Our Government is at the stage where it is failing us which is what it is supposed to be here for, US. End of rant.[/citation]
That's great and all. Kind of like a beauty pageant answer: "I'm against world hunger". Now for the real world. You say people should do what they want as long as they don't harm anyone else. Clearly Wiki-Leaks is harming people by releasing secret documents. Fact of life: Secrets are sometimes important and do save lives and property. You might not like the fact that there are Military and State secrets, but that is irrelevant to your statement that peoples actions shouldn't harm other peoples actions. Or do you now wish to amend your comments to say you shouldn't harm other people unless they are doing something you personally disagree with? That philosophy is nothing but a recipe for anarchy. Do governments sometimes do things they shouldn't. Of course they do! But if you follow the news at all, the vast, vast, vast majority of the documents being released are not evidence of any wrong-doing, but simply secret communications that can potentially cause real harm when released.

The DDOS attacks also do harm. Financial harm. Or is financial harm okay? Is it okay someones steals your wallet or grabs a few choice items out of your home? Or do you now wish to amend your comment to say you can do financial harm to certain groups but not others because you perceive them as somehow deserving of punishment?

If you are so convinced that all secrets are are fine to post online then how about posting your bank account and routing number? Why not throw in your PIN number, SSN, and mother's maiden name for good measure? No, don't bother, I'm sure there is some organization out there that has already stolen that info and may just sell it someday. After all, they are probably thinking that no one has the right to tell them what to do.

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]That's great and all. Kind of like a beauty pageant answer: "I'm against world hunger". Now for the real world. You say people should do what they want as long as they don't harm anyone else. Clearly Wiki-Leaks is harming people by releasing secret documents. Fact of life: Secrets are sometimes important and do save lives and property. You might not like the fact that there are Military and State secrets, but that is irrelevant to your statement that peoples actions shouldn't harm other peoples actions. Or do you now wish to amend your comments to say you shouldn't harm other people unless they are doing something you personally disagree with? That philosophy is nothing but a recipe for anarchy. Do governments sometimes do things they shouldn't. Of course they do! But if you follow the news at all, the vast, vast, vast majority of the documents being released are not evidence of any wrong-doing, but simply secret communications that can potentially cause real harm when released. The DDOS attacks also do harm. Financial harm. Or is financial harm okay? Is it okay someones steals your wallet or grabs a few choice items out of your home? Or do you now wish to amend your comment to say you can do financial harm to certain groups but not others because you perceive them as somehow deserving of punishment?If you are so convinced that all secrets are are fine to post online then how about posting your bank account and routing number? Why not throw in your PIN number, SSN, and mother's maiden name for good measure? No, don't bother, I'm sure there is some organization out there that has already stolen that info and may just sell it someday. After all, they are probably thinking that no one has the right to tell them what to do.[/citation]

No comment about the, bending the law for a person that has them in his pocket huh?

Oh who am I kidding. I must say you have just talked me right in to letting them take away our freedom to press and freedom of speech. I mean if it keeps us all safe from Al-Qaeda and their great axis of evil right?

By the way, good job proving your point with that extensive list of names of those people that have been harmed so far from the releases :clap: for you sir.

I think the list goes,

Governments Facade.

End of list.

Now how about we make a list of soldiers that have died for the Government for reasons they didn't even know about because all the secret talks are being held at the Bilderburg meetings behind close doors like the good old constitution calls for?

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]truehighroller[/nom]No comment about the, bending the law for a person that has them in his pocket huh?[/citation]
I clearly said that governments do things they shouldn't do.

[citation][nom]truehighroller[/nom]Oh who am I kidding. I must say you have just talked me right in to letting them take away our freedom to press and freedom of speech. I mean if it keeps us all safe from Al-Qaeda and their great axis of evil right?[/citation]
Freedom of speech is often misquoted as your are doing here. The constitution guarantees that we have freedom of political speech, not freedom to publish classifed documents. The difference should be clear to a constitutional schoolar, such as yourself.

[citation][nom]truehighroller[/nom]By the way, good job proving your point with that extensive list of names of those people that have been harmed so far from the releases for you sir.[/citation]
I do not know if anyone will be harmed, that is why I used the phrase "potential harm". Do you know for sure no one will be harmed? I'm glad you read the 100's of thousands of documents released, because I sure haven't.

[citation][nom]truehighroller[/nom]Now how about we make a list of soldiers that have died for the Government for reasons they didn't even know about because all the secret talks are being held at the Bilderburg meetings behind close doors like the good old constitution calls for?[/citation]
Irrelevant to whether people are harmed by the realease of secret documents.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
@Jane & Toms: Props for keeping us informed.

@ husker: The damage has been done, don't cry over spilled milk. This whole scenario is ripe with corruption and wrongdoings. I'm not saying what WikiLeaks did was right, but a lot of those "Classified" cables could have been made public with the truly classified sections blacked out, the problem with that is many of these documents have embarrassing information in them showing the true face of our elected officials, and not the public mask they wish us to see.

Irrelevant to whether people are harmed by the release of secret documents.
Can you for certain tell me more lives were lost because this information was made public vs. if it had stayed private? Since the information has already been made public, unless you have access to a parallel reality you are speculating.

The DDOS attacks also do harm. Financial harm. Or is financial harm okay?
The DDOS would have never happened had these same institutions that are being financially harmed, not financially harmed WikiLeaks by removing their customers choice of where to spend their money.

Back on topic, The operation payback sites did break the terms of their contracts, so Twitter and Facebook aren't doing anything wrong per say.

/Flameon!

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Can you for certain tell me more lives were lost because this information was made public vs. if it had stayed private? Since the information has already been made public, unless you have access to a parallel reality you are speculating[/citation]
No I cannot say. Exactly my point. So how can Wiki-leaks justify breaking the law in releasing these documents? They cannot be certain they won't be harming others. Everyone has to follow there moral convictions, but I do think Wiki-leaks is playing with fire here, either not knowing or not caring about the full consequences of there actions. If they are willing to knowingly break the law and in the process potentially put innocent lives at stake - all to make their point and/or change the world - how does that make them different from the governments the expose???

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006

Because now people are going to start questioning things more rather then just turning a blind eye thinking that the Government will do what's best for us.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]truehighroller[/nom]Because now people are going to start questioning things more rather then just turning a blind eye thinking that the Government will do what's best for us.[/citation]
Do you not here the irony in your own argument? You are saying it's okay to do wrong if you think something good will come from it, which is exactly what you claim the government is doing.

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006

I don't think what they did was wrong. I think what the Government has been doing is, wrong. I thought maybe you would see the light if I threw that comment in there some how. I thought maybe I seen a hint of ah ha in there but nope.

No but they are annoying, illiterate, and if nothing persistent, and we are dealing with the issue.

Thanks to everyone who is reporting the spam.

I am not much of a twitter or facebook fan.

:)

idlerp

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
@matt87_50

The first amendment protects you from government and any other reprisal when speaking your mind. Leaked classified documents are not a form of protected speech. If they got a hold of blue prints for the stealth fighter and posted them, could they then release them to the public and cry "free speech!!!!" when the government tries to take them down. No. Besides that, Julian Assange is not an American citizen, so the constitution does not entirely apply to him. I'm pretty sure the Afghani's who were helping the US military then had their names leaked on the internet, weren't quite happy when members of the Taliban said they read them and are planning on killing them and their families.

Vermil

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Wikileaks fame is wholly based on that heli-clip. This single incident, and the fact that US Army entrust an emotionally disturbed, immature homosexual with severe personal issues, with secret information, are the only two "scandals" Wikileaks have "exposed". Now the heli-clip, things like that happen in war. What is remarkable is that this is the only clip of this kind they've been able to leak. And if you watch the full 38 minutes, you'll understand a lot more.
For the rest, it's all information that just need to be secret. For very good reasons. Just like all your bank account information, codes, logins. Lawyers, doctors confidential information. Journalists sources. Exposing any of this is NOT "freedom of speech". It's crime which hurts people. Just like basically everything Wikileaks have leaked. Wikileaks "leaks" totally lacks justification. Assange, in his personal propaganda for himself as some kind of hero, speaks of "truth" and "honesty". Are you all so stupid you just gobble up this BS? Can't you see the reality?. They have given the Talibans information about how military operations are conducted. They've given them the cooperators and informants. They have given Al Quada a list of good targets which are impossible to protect. This has killed, and will kill, a lot of good people. So Assange is a mass murderer as well as a rapist.

pandemonium_ctp

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
[citation][nom]bamslang[/nom]Way to prove his point. He was saying that America took LESS action against Korea than they did against Wikileaks. Korean issue SHOULD trump the Wikileaks issue, yet the US Gov seems to be spending more time trying to distinguish this issue.[/citation]

Thanks. Didn't know I was trying to disprove his point? All I said was it was a bit extreme. Was it not?

Vermil

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]bamslang[/nom]Way to prove his point. He was saying that America took LESS action against Korea than they did against Wikileaks. Korean issue SHOULD trump the Wikileaks issue, yet the US Gov seems to be spending more time trying to distinguish this issue.[/citation]

(Facepalm). What, exactly, is the action you think US should take against Korea? Which they didn't? And why do you feel particularily US has some kind of obligation to 'act' in some way in this case?
And why do you think NK's usual, annoying, hardass behavior, subject to international law but hardly US law, resulting in the deaths of 4 non-US people, trumps wikileaks disrupting a major military action, with US as an directly involved part, potentially costing thousands of lives and ruining the lives of uncountables for untold time? And trumps an action almost paralysing US diplomacy to function?
Is it because you're actually clinically mad? Or just another of those incredibly illogical persons, never thinking, totally out of touch with reality, who post in THW comments?

bludragon

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
I used to be a proponent of wikileaks. I thought they stood for making things better, protecting the little people, all good things, etc.

Now i find it was just some egotistical man. All he has done is hurt all those little cogs and many more. its like thoughtless childish damage. The only thing he has done is attack open countries and democracies, and those trying to spread democracy. Sure they arent perfect, people in democracy are messy. so are you private emails i bet.

my big question is how come wikileaks isn't in a big uproar over china imprisoning a noble peace prize winners entire family, russia killing people... still left and right, mexican cartel government control; african slaughter, korean brutality, middle eastern manics and the list goes on.

Was there any positive constructive purpose? Whats up with the way wikileaks went about this?

if they showed concern maybe that would bring some of my faith back.

instead of trying to provoke random chaos, achieve notoriety and get rich off of whoever submits something. Then decide to say well lets take the rest of the western world down with us if we dont get our way.

I also consider screwing with some of the most important sites on the internet a definite harm to the general public of the world that wishes to use them, as well as the companies.

This just makes me sad.

I truly hope some good comes from this. perhaps a breakthrough for the good. Hopefully the thoughtful and intelligent people such as on this forum will help bring this about.

But I fear all that has been accomplished is the strengthening of freedom and human rights enemies, increased paranoia in the west, less cooperation and openness between countries,

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS