Opinion: 5 Letdowns of the New iPad - Is It Good Enough?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
My 2 year-old loves the iPad 2. I can barely pry it from his grubby little snatchers. He truly thinks its his. ...and if I get a new iPad next week it very well may be.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]Opinion: 5 Letdowns of the New iPad - Is It Good Enough? article sponsored by Windows 8[/citation]

...of course THG wouldn't have it any other way.

old_newbie

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
I know it seems kind of petty, but not giving the 'new Ipad' an actual name was a bad move. Like it or not, Apple is known for moving on with new generations of hardware. The generation you brought are the features you're stuck with. Its messed up, but the Apple fans have learned (by now) to live with it. By not naming it something new, they are confusing their existing users ("how is this different from my IPad 2?") and potential buyers ("Meh. I'll just get the cheaper one").

At least calling it the IPad HD, IPad LTE, or IPad 2S implies some sort of sequential upgrade...and keeps the unaware from buying an overpriced "New Ipad" (generation 1) off of Ebay.

G

a 5MP camera for a device with a 3MP display is fine for the overwhelming majority of applications. What are you doing with images that needs more than 5MP? Even high end displays are only 4MP (2560*1600). IF you are shooting for print and using a cel phone/tablet, you are an idiot that knows nothing about photography. The fact is that more MP in the same size sensor means lower light sensitivity and more noise. For camera improvements, I would have preferred things like access to more manual controls. 5MP is plenty for a tablet or phone.

I would want to see the 3D before requesting it, because the glasses free 3D that I have seen to date is underwhelming.

External storage would be nice, as would greater than 64MB of storage.

I do not care how many cores the CPU has. It could have 1 core or 128 cores. I care if it runs my applications nicely. If there is stuttering and lag, then it need more power. If it runs what it needs to, who cares?

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Err, with the name "New iPad" what are they going to do when the next one comes out...Newer iPad? or rename the New iPad to Old iPad? New iPad 2?[/citation]

I've read that the next generation will be called 'Newest iPad' and will have an octo-core GPU, a hex a-core CPU, 15 hours of battery life, be .05" thinner, use Gorilla glass 3, have 3-D, up to 256GB 100MB/s flash, and be $50 less, respectively, than the current generation. ...should be announced in quarter 3 of this year.

...now...about that bridge....

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]...of course THG wouldn't have it any other way.[/citation]
... and the interesting thing will be, that, not the OS X will be the windows killer, but the iOS... i hate the unsuccessful windows metro UI, that will be put on a tablet, phone and desktop alike... and, what sense it make to put windows on a tablet, when there is a iPad like this???... and combine the ease of use from iOS and the wast possibilities of android and windows metro ui haz no chance...

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]Tab54o[/nom]Ive been saying this same thing. What a lame idea holding up some 10 inch brick to take a picture. Real practical, NOT.[/citation]

You know it can do more than take pictures, right?

msgun98

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]Lol, your going to hate this.http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ado [...] 16481?mt=8whoooopshhhh.......Photoshop for the iPad. lol[/citation]

Without wacom digitizer support you are basically looking at a 10" ultrabook that has less power capabilities than a real ultrabook. Sorry, I'm going to wait for a Haswell Slate made by Samsung.

msgun98

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Don't be ridiculous.The CPU doesn't have to run 4x as fast to power a screen which has 4x as many pixels. That's mainly handled by the GPU, which is (Apple claims), 4x faster. This means it can run games at 4x higher the quality (on the new display) without sacrificing the 60 fps.Do you have benchmarks to evidence this?[/citation]

If you think game devs can code 3D games in the iPad 3's new native resolution, I have a lot full of bridges to sell you. No, Apple didn't "magically" shoehorn in a GTX580 into the iPad. They will probably make the games at something closer to 720p and upscale them.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Is about time the iPad gets a higher starting storage capacity than 16 Gb. This is for a device including a high resolution "Retina Display" and for about $500. With that display all the media and graphics you want to watch and see should be 4 times heavier than in the iPad 2. Also the system, games and apps should now include all the higher resolution versions and that will take a hit on your storage capacity.

The iPad camera and in fact almost any camera with a tiny sensor shouldn't go higher than 4 MP as said before, as more pixels will introduce a greater amount of noise. Give me 4 MP with a better sensor please.

I can't say I am not tempted with the higher resolution display and the better color saturation either as I am a graphic artist and I personally love details. Also I would like to read a review alone on the display performance.

But... I might wait for a better CPU and at least a better storage capacity as I want to spend as little as possible for an iPad as it will not be a device I am going to use a lot any time soon (iPad or any tablet). For myself this investment will need to last as long as it could and I think that would be at least 3 years, but hopefully 4-5 years. For my very limited portable media needs I am still fine with a second gen iPod Touch, so what else could I say?

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]msgun98[/nom]If you think game devs can code 3D games in the iPad 3's new native resolution, I have a lot full of bridges to sell you. No, Apple didn't "magically" shoehorn in a GTX580 into the iPad. They will probably make the games at something closer to 720p and upscale them.[/citation]
In all honesty, vector graphics ( like Angry Birds ), will look smoother too. It's not just about the 3D.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Im not apple fan but this article is just grasping at straws ....
3d display my ass ... i have yet to see 1 3d tech that impresses me ... so far i just find it a waste of money ... as for gestures no one realy has it in a tablet ... and id rather have better battery life then 1 more gimmick. Quad Core cpu seems a bit overkill , again battery life please. What does a cheep Ipad have to do with the new one ? I think its a new Ipad not a Your old Ipad gets cheaper. And im fairly certain 5mp is more then enough for a mobile camera if you want more get a DSLR more mp won't help you without a propper optics anyway. As for storage all apple devices have that, no SD card slot. And yes i whould like to see a 128gb or more storage on a tablet ... but realisticly for surfing the web and playing , even if you are running some kind of aplication for work 64gb is sufficient lets not forget there is no 20gb OS on the device (thanks for that M$). What i realy find a big let down in an ipad is the huge brazzel its Fugly .... and the fact that its not wide ... Make it an A4 or Leather size .... the new screen is a definit plus and most devices will follow it i belive this year... and that can only be a plus , especialy for the Win8 tabs that will come out. And im not a fan of the apple close ecosystem .. tho i have to admit that does contribute to there devices running as smooth as the do and how well they play with eachother... Like i said i don't like apple and i wont get an ipad ... if i will ever get a pad it will run windows and it will play very well with my pc. I have an android phone that i like but it lacks certain conveniances that i belive a windows tab can offer... especialy if it will run an atom. And no Windows 7.5 was not out when i got my phone tho i whould be tempted by one now.

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I love my Transformer Prime. The only thing I would like to see is 4 sd slots instead of 1, I mean with raid or jbod, how come this hasn't come out yet?

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]hoof_hearted[/nom]I love my Transformer Prime. The only thing I would like to see is 4 sd slots instead of 1, I mean with raid or jbod, how come this hasn't come out yet?[/citation]

That's what I want to know. Someone should give these tablets a bunch of MicroSD slots to make them more expandable, even if only a premium/flagship model has the multiple MicroSD card slots.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]stryk55[/nom]we're now on the 3rd generation of this device after the previous 2 iterations have shipped an estimated 25 million units.Apple must be doing something right :)[/citation] Try 60 million units.

[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]The lack of removable storage and the locked down application support turns me off besides the high cost of an iPad.[/citation] High price compared to who? Samsung and many other high end-units costs the same ( +/- $20). Yeah, Asus has the $400 Transformer, but they also have their $600+ models too. The FIRE is sold at a loss and doesn't have half the features of screen of the $400 iPad2. No shock on the storage... handy, not really a deal killer.

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]stryk55[/nom]I still find it remarkable that as much as people were deriding the first iPad (including comparisons of the name to special women's products), we're now on the 3rd generation of this device after the previous 2 iterations have shipped an estimated 25 million units.Apple must be doing something right :)[/citation]

They are. They are not catering to tinkerists and building real world useable devices. Apple devices are making technology to access information and interact ubiquitous. Compare this to the car world, there are only a small number of hot rod-ers. And hot rod cars are not workable for the masses. The difference is that hot rod-ers in the car world don’t whine incessantly that there are mass market cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.