Opinion: 5 Reasons Why Firefox is Losing to Chrome

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

asiaprime

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008
I moved from ff because of the add-on engine. installing a new one requires a restart of ff. plus with major version updates, with all the add-ons I use, at least one wasn't compatible with ff anymore. ff has gotten better the last few updates, but I don't open it unless I need to. chrome extensions just work, no restart, each major release.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Oh and FF does not crash on me. Maybe it does you. I don't know or care really. Also as for memory use... who the hell has less than 8 gigs these days? But even on my 4 gig notebook, FF runs fine and does not crash even with 10-20 tabs open.

KelvinTy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
As a Firefox (Nightly) user, I find it to be way more compatible with a lot of webpages I visit (often) and the addons that I want, "kind of" only exists in it.
Why FF is losing? Chrome, pretty much have unlimited resources... While FF have almost zero advertisement and after all these years and years and years, is still competitive... Who do you think has a equally solid background, ambitious and motive to stay in this... market?

dennis555

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
I, personally, like the sleek manila style tabs that chrome has. Not only that but out of all the browsers I've tried (IE, Firefox) it turned out to be the fastest.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
I left Firefox when they stopped developing for PowerPC based Apple desktops. Also, I did not like the new interface they designed. Today I use Chrome or IE

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Mozilla is losing share because it's not distributing Firefox adware like Google does with Chrome, that's all. I bet that way more than half Chrome users do not even know how Chrome came to their computers. Plus, Google advertises Chrome in every site they own; hell, even in TV!

Plus, the user has to actually go and download FF by itself. Problem is, most computer users today are too lazy to do just that, all they want is Facebook and Youtube. So, they are fine with the Chrome as much as they're fine with tons of toolbars they install without seeing.

j5689

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2009
They have to clean up the memory usage BADLY and then they also have to changing the UI to make less and less things there by default, it's extremely obnoxious, they also need a x64 client at some point soon. Other than that it's great, but really the biggest thing is the memory leaks, they make it slow and crashy.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I have privacy concerns about Chrome; not necessarily what I know they're doing, but what they might be doing, or might be able to do, and WILL do, once the financial incentive becomes powerful enough. Don't be evil? Maybe, but don't be naive makes more sense to me.
I had FF crashing issues, but I traced them to an add-in. The ones that really matter to me, AdBlock+ and NoScript, work great.
I still have to use IE9 from time to time for compatibility reasons, and the number of ads I see is always surprising. This rampant debt-fueled consumerism BS has got to die, but that's a rant for another day...

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
I don't have anything against Google - I use most of their applications/software on a regular basis (Android phone, gmail, Google Earth, etc.), but as far as Chrome goes, no matter how many times I give it a go, I always end up firing up Firefox to compare how the two render sites, and Firefox is always bulletproof! I have to do online modules for school, which chrome doesn't even recognize, it just gives a blank scree - but FF is always reliable. Chrome might be fantastic for the very general web-surfer, but I don't see how it can be the most reliable when it doesn't seem to work on anything that's a little more obscure. There's more to the world of the web than the AAA/mainstream websites, and Chrome really does seem to disregard the rest.

G

I, foolishly, 'upgraded' Firefox on my work browser. I have since uninstalled 8.0.1 and downloaded FF 3.6 - I wonder how many others have done the same. I use Chrome at work for Googlemail and it works just fine - apart from the new pastel shading. I don't like Chrome as a browser. I like being able to print easily, look at print preview easily, stop loading pages easily, manage my bookmarks easily, look at my history easily - I don't want a browser that looks like Chrome with its rubbish usability. That's why I have not changed from FF 3.6 at home and why I have gone back to it at work.

doorspawn

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
When developers of product A see a competitor B, some might prefer B.
Since as developers they're tied to A, they want to make A more like B.

Unfortunately, this is bad for the users. Users who prefer the B will be using B, so those that stick with A don't want A to move toward B.

So FF developers, if you prefer chrome you have two good choices. 1: Become a chrome developer instead. 2: Work on what the users want, not what you want.

codefuapprentice

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Still happily using Firefox, no complaints here, does what i want of it with fewer memory leaks than before....i just don't like Chrome(i don't think it's crap as others are using it)

doorspawn

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Isn't there also an issue with many FF users using addons that prevent them being sampled for market share, making the statistics under-represent FF's usage.

The users that are leaving FF are less likely to use these addons since they're losing them.

c_herring

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]I use FF and won't change. If FF goes bust I'll go to IE. I'll NEVER use Chrome.[/citation]I'd consider Opera as a primary browser before IE. Although I do use IE9 as my secondary browser.

synd

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
[citation][nom]Teehee[/nom]5 reasons to keep Firefox:1) Firefox has an inbuilt updater that doesn't run in the background as googleupdate.exe does, regardless of Chrome being on or off.2) Firefox has a larger collection of- and in general has better add-ons.3) Support Mozilla to counter Google's increasing monopoly on all things mainstream e-usage.4) Firefox is still entirely based on non-propriety open source ideology. Chrome and Google is not.5) Counter the hipster movement of Googleism.[/citation]
6) Firefox doesn't leech all your personal data
7) Has better extensions(addons/themes) support
8) Memory usage. Seriously, I don't know who said that FF uses more memory than the other top browsers. Chrome for example has like 300mb memory usage just with 8 tabs ( only 1 is with flash ), but FF has 300mb usage with 15tabs atleast and again the processes aren't as many as your tabs/plugins like in Chrome, but are just 2 (firefox.exe -tabs and etc;plugincontainer.exe - plugins). Just made easy.

G

Firefox is the only true open source browser and without any money minded intentions. Chrome renders google apps well because those apps are designed to run well on Chrome.

There's a wonderful page where you can get up to date tid bits about browsers - https://www.facebook.com/browser.wars

G

Chromium only exists because it's a effective way for Google to develop Chrome, which is proprietary. Firefox is true free software by a nonprofit organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS