Opinion: Hey Apple, Everything Is Not OK

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seth89

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
man i am having so much trouble with my 3GS, it drops calls it only works every other call but hey my google maps always works!
and i can get onto facebook but i cant make a phone call...

evo by sprint is looking good

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
lol, didn't anyone tell you? all the smart people at apple are kept in cages, only people who know the latest marketing and business buzz words are allowed to roam freely.

Gizmodo had a great article about how FOR YEARS the smart engineers at Apple have been the whipping boys, they get given unrealistic and irrational designs and are simply told to make them work, the designers, and marketers, and Jobs controls everything. seriously, he actually told them to rearrange the layout of the motherboard of one of their original computers so it 'looked good'. the internal, never to be seen mobo had to 'look good' at the expense of efficiency.

if an engineer had come out on the stage he would have said "hey guys, here is the technical problem. yeah I know right? obvious. we told Jobs, but he didn't care"

Wombat_VC

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
The hardware fix should be easy. Just move the antenna gap to a non-grip area, such as the bottom of the phone. Recall will still be costly.

G

If it's all the same to Jobs, I'll be hanging on to Senor 3GS a little while longer.

wrxchris

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
I lost a lot of respect for Apple as a company and Steve Jobs as a leader in response to the Receptiongate fiasco. All I wanted to see was some honesty and an apology, and couldn't even get that. Now I am seriously reconsidering the weight of AAPL stock in my portfolio, and will no longer recommend new Apple products to friends and family (as a matter of fact, I'll recommend waiting to people who are ready to buy newly released Apple products).

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Another slide informed the audience that only 0.55% of iPhone 4 owners have called Apple's technical support about the antenna issue.

Thats because the antenna means the phone keeps dropping calls so they can't successfully call lol

wrxchris

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
BTW, I'm left-handed, and I personally take offense to Job's standoffish attitude. 90% of the time I hold my phone (Droid- I will NEVER AGAIN use AT&T) the way Jobs said not to. I expect a company that charges a premium for its products to offer premium customer service. And premium customer service means listening to your customers when something is wrong, even if only .55% of users are calling to complain about the issue. Maybe you can attribute this to the fact that only 10% of the population is left-handed, and 5% of affected users actually take the time to call customer service...that is 10,000 people mind you... If I had bought an iPhone 4, I would be all over that class action suit because sometimes the principle of the matter is what's important.

tanknspank

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
According to Anandtech, as long as you're not shorting out the case (ie you have a bumper), this phone has remarkable signal-to-noise ratio. It can hang on to a call down to -113dBm of signal. So when you put on a bumper, this phone is not only "ok" or "average", but it is quite exceptional.

Anand also vindicated Apple's claim that the bar display was wrong. According to Anand, measurements showed that the bottom 4 bars covered a narrow ~10dBm range of signal strength, while the 5th bar covered essentially the top 40dBm of signal strength. This means that if you are in a weak signal area, and you change the signal strength vary by a small amount (ie with a "death grip"), you will see a dramatic change in the number of bars being displayed. Apple will probably try to fix this problem by spreading the bars out more evenly over the useful signal range.

This is a dumbed-down version of what Anandtech wrote, so I hope people can understand. If you want to read Anandtech's original report, just google "anandtech iphone4 antenna"

hellknight_mnd

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
Seems like the designers of iPhone 4 were having an orgasm when they were designing it.. they completely messed up antenna.. And now, Apple is behaving like a arrogant kid.. Come on Apple, admit it, iPhone 4 sucks..

I believe that the honeymoon (Apple & AT&T) is over...

G

I'm fine with the approach apple is taking. I haven't had an apple product since the apple II and like many were a little annoyed by the apple fanboys. I bought an iphone4 and will never look back. It's that good. All products have problems and I had to hold my samsung phone I just got rid of "a certain way" too. This is a classic case of everyone attacking the winner. No one is perfect and the reception issue is a non-issue for me. I haven't heard from any people who actually own and use the phone complain.

G

You can complain all you want. We all know you'll still buy Apple products. That's what you Apple Zombies do. You don't think sensibly about hardware specs or features or price. You just see "Apple" and start frothing at the mouth and stick your arms out in front of you and mumbling "Must ...have ...Apple ..."

melancholygiant

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
Apple's strategy...

1. Develop good product
2. Sell it
3. Profit
4. Repeat until Steve Jobs steps in and enrages the entire customer base while competitor develops superior product.
5. Lose massive market share and blame everyone else.

G

Give the guys a break. They make some of the best tech products
on this planet. This is typical of the tall poppy syndrome. I can bet
Apple will do every thing it possibly can to fix this issue. Apple have changed the way people use computers (again). And face it every company that makes mobile phones want's to COPY the Apple model. The way it works, it looks, it's functions, to have a centre for software to down load to your phone...every company wants to be Apple.

col_krismiss

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
only 0.55% of iPhone 4 owners have called Apple's technical support about the antenna issue.

With the amount of press covering this issue, how many people are gonna call in? Who has noticed this problem and called Apple to ask about it? Everyone already knows.

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
I like and use some Apple products because I have determined that they are best suited to what I use them for and my personal ergonomic preferences (both physical and software-based). The iPhone is not one of those products and never has been, and likely never will. While Apple's customer service is generally very good, there really is no escaping the fact that Apple's success is largely due to how much of a hard-driving prick the guy at the helm is.

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Apple's logo: Bitten apple. Kinda reminds me of the story about Adam and Eve in heaven's garden.

So that's why they chose the logo, it's forbidden in the first place. But there will always be people whose tempted to take a bite, even if they know it's forbidden. What a brilliant concept!!!.. But does that make Steve Jobs the Devil? He's got a way with words though, which is one of the Devil's strong points.

OMG, what am I saying? I better stop or they'll sue me over this comment...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS