Opinion: Is Netflix Now Set Up For Failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
Hopefully, Netflix can get "content" creators to come straight to them. If that happens, Netflix wins. And honestly the production studios win because their content will get viewed more.

king smp

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
I am a Netflix streamer and I am very disappointed so far
More and more movies are dvd rentals
Some that are way over 10 year old movies
Seriously "The Crow" and other movies that have been out for close to twenty
years or more NOT available for streaming?!
I have Comcast cable and some of these movies play on second rate
cable channels almost every weekend
I understand a brand new release but OLD movies?
They purposely target popular older titles so they think you will get the DVD option
I am going to start looking at alternatives soon like Hulu+
Netflix better get their poop together

G

Another opinion article by Wolfgang Gruener. Why are these opinion articles bolded to seem as if they were actually important news?

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]Hellbound[/nom]Qwikster??? Did they giveup trying to figure out a name? Hell my 9 just said "they could have called it Flix"...[/citation]
Flix is already a TV channel, they wouldnt be able to use that I dont think. Though I agree qwikster is probably the worst name ever.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]moreboldstatementsisee[/nom]Another opinion article by Wolfgang Gruener. Why are these opinion articles bolded to seem as if they were actually important news?[/citation]
"Opinion: Is Netflix Now Set Up for Failure?"

It says its an opinion article in the freaking title, whats your problem with it?

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
First off I'll start with this. I'm sick and tired of reading all of these rants from pissed off, upset article writers who might as well be bloggers by allowing them selves to publish things like this. Just because they do not like the change to the pricing model. Seriously, just because you can complain and whine to your entire site visiter base does not mean you should. Get over yourself already.

Second, I would like to clear up a few misunderstandings that seem too vast of a concept for some to grasp properly. So, in the past they charged about $8 for the streaming service. If you wanted to also order DVD's you would need to pay and additional $2 to gain that privilege. So then, let's sum this up. You just want to stream? Pay ~$8. You want to stream and rent DVD's? You pay ~$10.

But wait, what if I only want to get the DVD's? Pay~$10.

Wait... what?

Yep that's how it worked. So then, on to the present times. After a lot of research and study and comparing notes, they discovered there were fewer and fewer people wanting to stream and rent movies. At the same time there were fewer people wanting to pay for streaming when they only wanted to rent the DVD's. Also, there were a few hiccups with liscensing and some boycotting from puplishers because they seem to not like streaming services very much because they have trouble understandng a virtual model vs. a simple buy a DVD and we make "x" amount of $ from it. So, to make there system better and remove the stigma affecting the publishers, they will separate the business models into two. From streaming with an addon rental feature, to a streaming service and a new separate rental service.

So if you want to stream, it costs about $8. If you want to rent it costs about $8. Who is losing? Oh the few left, according to netflicks study's and usage data, that want to both stream and rent DVD's. In which case it will cost you another ~$6 a month.

Seriously, if you don't like it then cut back on your cell phone bill a bit that I'm sure it costing you much more than it should because you had to have those extras that you barely use. Better yet, cancel the HBO or Showtime or Stars services which cost just as much or more each!

Anyways, stop crying to us because you are upset. They are gunna do this because they have the data that says it's a good idea. You keep this up and you'll just scare everyone away and then there will be no Netflix and more people out of work.

Oh, and hulu+ sucks. It's not like the hulu on the net where they have a bunch of stuff with adds. It has waaayyyyyy fewer options. It's as bad as Netflix and worse cuz in some cases you have to see adds even on the + pay service.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
[citation][nom]king smp[/nom]I am a Netflix streamer and I am very disappointed so farMore and more movies are dvd rentalsSome that are way over 10 year old moviesSeriously "The Crow" and other movies that have been out for close to twenty years or more NOT available for streaming?!I have Comcast cable and some of these movies play on second ratecable channels almost every weekendI understand a brand new release but OLD movies?They purposely target popular older titles so they think you will get the DVD optionI am going to start looking at alternatives soon like Hulu+Netflix better get their poop together[/citation]
I get over the air HDTV only. Netflix has been a cheap alternative to paying monthly cable subscription fees while are still much higher,. And I don't have to deal with all the commercials.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
[citation][nom]moreboldstatementsisee[/nom]Another opinion article by Wolfgang Gruener. Why are these opinion articles bolded to seem as if they were actually important news?[/citation]
I suppose I'm to blame for that...

A few weeks ago, I sent a letter to Chris Angelini pointing out some things I felt were out-of-order within this site's news section. One of those things just happened to be how Wolfgang's articles didn't follow the fact-based chronological presentation of an event format typical of news reporting. Instead, much (if not all) of Wolfgang's writings could easily be considered an editorial opinion piece. As such, Chris and/or Marcus saw fit to designate such works by Wolfgang differently, and this is the method which was chosen to do so. I suggest readers think of it more as though Wolfgang has an editorial column within the Tom's news section, just like the kind newspaper editors around the world often have.

I'm certain there are readers who don't like it, but perhaps that's because you don't understand why it was done. Maybe what I've said will shed a little light on things for you. You can blame me for it if doing so will make you feel better. (Everyone loves to point out a culprit, right?) I feel it's a step in the right direction for improving the overall quality of the entire news section to designate opinion and editorial writings differently.

G

His article does more to make me understand why Netflix split their business than the apology letter I got in the email. In the end though, I do not really care that Netflix is splitting their business. What bother me, and I imagine a few other users, is that rate hike from a business model that was already profitable while providing LESS service (loss of Starz on streaming side). Now, if service were to somehow improve with the rate hike, I could understand it, even if I did not think it was worth it. Now, I am looking for a replacement.

deekie75

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
I don't have any problem with a CEO saying, "I messed up." In fact, I think the guy deserves recognition for saying so. Honestly, when is the last time you heard ANYONE in corporate America admit fault? The problem I have is a 60% price hike with a "If you don't like it, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out - our marketing says we'll be fine" attached to it. Add in the fact that we've gotten nothing in return for it(less really - Starz) and I feel like I pretty much just swallowed a spoon of vinegar. Now, we're splitting the services under 2 different companies... er... huh???

king smp

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
"I get over the air HDTV only. Netflix has been a cheap alternative to paying monthly cable subscription fees while are still much higher,. And I don't have to deal with all the commercials."

I see your point and agree with it though I dont know why you had to point me out :)

I have a ten year old daughter that cannot live without Disney and Nickelodeon (the horror!)
and a wife that loves TLC and HGTV

I would be okay with a stripped basic cable or a good house antenna

I do like the perks of Comcast like Xfinity Streaming TV and also the free Nortons 2011
(top ranked among all of the PC mag reviews I have read for pay service)
plus I can use the free Xfinity Wi-FI hotspots that are all over

so for $130 TV/Performance Internet up to 15mbps (?)/phone with free LD
with the extras like the WiFi etc

it is worth to me not to hear my women in my life complain :)
Wife not happy
Me not happy!

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Pretty anti-competitive...

Phone and cable providers provide "TV" and put bandwidth caps in place where rival services operate. When you watch your "on demand" movie through those providers, they do not limit the number of movies you can watch.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
So yet again another highly paid incompetent CEO apologizes and we are supposed to think this is noble on his part. Mr Hastings you are another executive turd who likely only has his job because he "knows" someone in the business, not because he EARNED the opportunity.

Hastings should be fired for incompetence!

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
personally theres to much competition in the dvd market right now .. with red box and blockbuster kiosks every where its so much cheaper and easier to just go to the local store swipe your card and for 1.00 you get a movie rental for the night some even carry video games so thats a big one up on them .. i already dropped the dvd part of it .. and now i only do streaming .. personally i think they lack a lot of content hulu has them beat in a lot of deparments and a lot of it is either free.. or dont qoute me 7.99 i think a month for the hulu + .. and they have way more content .. so its a tough place to be if you ask me personally if they came out with more childrens content / anime / how too guides that would help there service quite a bit.. and another thing its hard to tell when they will add new content .. so its like a mistery magic list that just shows up and then dissapears a few months later..

G

The guys at Blockbuster must be celebrating all night long after that announcement. Blockbuster already offers a better service then Qwikster, they dont charge extra for Blu Ray or Video Games and you can exchange your discs in a store. Why would you pay more for Qwikster? You wouldn't.

Then you have Blockbuster setting up it's streaming service and getting the contract with Starz, pretty much guaranteeing they will have a better streaming selection then Netflix. Oh and you would hope a site design that isn't all retarded like Netflix made theirs.

So come 2012, I think Netflix is going to fail hard, offering 2 worse services that require 2 different accounts at higher cost then their competition. They should fire Hastings and figure out a way to get their service back to the quality it had in 2010.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Amazon Prime eats netflixs for lunch. Amazon Prime is not only cheaper then netflix per year but they release the latest movies on stream faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.