Opinions concerning Universal Audio

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Hello,

I'm mostly interested in the models; LA-610 Classic Tube Recording
Channel and 6176 Channel Strip. I googled and groogled both models but
found very little chatter. I'm always cynical towards magazine reviews.
I think a lot of articles are contrived. So I turn to those who might
have used one of these units in a real life situation.

thanks
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <1116946569.318733.281620@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com> phibraphonic@hotmail.com writes:

> I'm mostly interested in the models; LA-610 Classic Tube Recording
> Channel and 6176 Channel Strip. I googled and groogled both models but
> found very little chatter. I'm always cynical towards magazine reviews.

Well, you could always ask Kevin Aylward for his opinion (but Google
him in rec.audio.pro first). These are relatively new products that
are well accepted by people who just use them and don't need to brag
about how wonderful they are.

Some magazine reviews are better than others, but you're the best
reviewer (assuming you have the ability to tell when something's going
to be useful to you). You should be able to purchase these units from
a dealer who will give you a reasonable trial period and allow you to
return them for a refund (less shipping costs of course, if it's not
local) if you don't like them.

Do you have a local dealer? That's the best place to buy stuff like
this. When you make friends with him, you might not even have to give
him any money in order to take something home and play with it in your
own studio.


--
I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Thanks Mike,

I do see one shop a few towns over. Pro Audio Design. I'm still in the
thinking about it mode. But I will keep "trying one out locally" in
mind.

I have a basic sound in my head I'm after. Part of the equation is the
ability of the compressor. For vocals subtle is better for me, just
tame things level it out. I like the idea of less knobs and more
performing.

I do sometimes require a compressor for more cruel intentions. I'm even
thinking it might be best to not think 1 unit. That for extreme
processing another or additional unit may be the right approach.

I had a tube pre amp before but it was very low end...at very least I
need to try some more to get a better feel of what is available. Being
a guitarist I love tubes.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Thanks Harry,

I'll keep that in mind. My voice can range quite a bit. I can't talk
technical ranges. However I can compare my voice to other singers. I'll
just relate to pop music since it's more accessible. In pop music you
really don't hear too many high female voices. It's very hard on the
ears and the crystal ;). I was listening to Carly Simon tonight and I
sing for the most part around her recorded range. I like to sing a
little lower though, just a tad. This is not the case on every song but
I'd say I often sing higher than most guys. So I'll have to keep that
in mind or pack a microphone lunch pail to try one out. ;)

Acoustic guitar is a definate need, I'm still after my sound. I've used
a cheap tube mic pre for guitar overdrive and it works pretty well.
Recording bass direct is also a need.

I think compression begins with one's own voice, fingers of the string
instrument they're playing and how your ears interpet these things on
the fly. For voice especially I want the compresser to be more of a
leveler.

Yes definately you have to get the input up...I remember that when
using my old tube mic preamp.

Bill
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Hey,

I use an LA-610 regularly. While not as quiet as some of the
higher-end channel strips, it does have a lot going for it if you are
doing male vocals. It's got a distinct and subtle character but not
overly so, IMHO. Not too fond of it for female vocals or voice-overs.
Too brash. Maybe I just don't have the right mic for it.

The compressor is nice if all you have in mind is a light touch.

I also love plugging my guitars straight into the instrument input and
dialing in maximum tube gain. I use this as the' raw' sound before I
process with UAD card-based plugins. A very satisfying combination
(and I have tried a lot of hot-rodded amp set-ups)

Very nice preamp for recording acoustic guitar too.

Works great for warming up outboard keys, etc.

Definitely worth giving it a try.

BTW: To improve the noise floor, you have to crank the input up to 10
and adjust everything else accordingly.

Harry


On 24 May 2005 07:56:09 -0700, phibraphonic@hotmail.com wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm mostly interested in the models; LA-610 Classic Tube Recording
>Channel and 6176 Channel Strip. I googled and groogled both models but
>found very little chatter. I'm always cynical towards magazine reviews.
>I think a lot of articles are contrived. So I turn to those who might
>have used one of these units in a real life situation.
>
>thanks
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <1116983090.272001.114750@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> phibraphonic@hotmail.com writes:

> I do see one shop a few towns over. Pro Audio Design.

Then you're in the greater Boston area?

> I have a basic sound in my head I'm after. Part of the equation is the
> ability of the compressor. For vocals subtle is better for me, just
> tame things level it out. I like the idea of less knobs and more
> performing.

You might want to try the FMR Really Nice Compressor. It's under $200
and meets those requirements. Contact Mercenary Audio and get one to
try out. They have a pissing match with Universal Audio so they, don't
carry UA, but they'll be happy to let you evaluate anytihng they sell
in your own studio.

> I do sometimes require a compressor for more cruel intentions. I'm even
> thinking it might be best to not think 1 unit. That for extreme
> processing another or additional unit may be the right approach.

I agree. The most universal "cruel" compressor is probalby the
Emperical Labs Distressor (which Mercenary also sells). Perhaps you
can make a playdate with Fletcher there and give both of them a
listen.


--
I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY