Opinions on the Asus Vivobook S500 for University?

adampcpower

Honorable
May 26, 2012
Hello,
i have been searching for a laptop for university and would like opinions on the Asus Vivobook S500. It is on sale now for $550 and i have been looking for a laptop that is the best deal for under about 699. I will be using this for all my classes and school work and need one that is very portable, fast as possible, and good battery life. Is this a good laptop and is the price right or should i wait for another deal?

SPECS

Operating System: Windows 8 (64 bit)
Display: 15.6" LED backlit HD (1366x768) capacitive touch panel
Intel Core i7 3517U 1.90 GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.00 GHz processor delivers faster system performance, uses less power, and enables sharper graphics
Graphics: Intel® GMA HD
Memory: 8GB DDR3
Hybrid HDD/SSD Storage: 500 GB hard drive gives you loads of room for all your files, while a 24 GB solid-state drive gets you booted up in a flash
Ports: 1 USB 3.0 • 2 USB 2.0 • HDMI • VGA • Headphone output/Microphone input combo • RJ-45 (10/100/1000) • Kensington lockport, and SD Card Reader
Dimensions: 15.08 x 10.20 x 0.85 inches
4.78 lbs

Solution
Yeah, now that people are buying the Vivobook, I must say you dodged a bullet in that one. Its a POS, lots of errors, The Ram memory and SSD are Soldered to the Motherboard, wich are of bad quality. The Mousepad its really faulty and other tons of stuff.

Adam, blackfriday its coming soon, try to save some money to buy an SSD for your laptop, You wont regret it. and Nice deal you got there. Remember to get a proper Messenger Bag for the lap.

chulex67

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011

Oh, sorry to hear that, why dont you tell me where do you live, and let me find you something in the same price, performance and size?

adampcpower

Honorable
May 26, 2012

Wow, thank you for the offer, but another great deal came up that i jumped on. As i live in florida, we just had our tax-free weekend on any school related items, including laptops, that was under $750. This coupled with a 15% off coupon that was going on for certain HP laptops got me a sweet deal on a HP ENVY 15t Quad Edition (model E4T17AV) the specs of it are:
• Windows 8 64
• 4th generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ Processor
• Intel HD Graphics 4600
• 15.6-inch diagonal HD BrightView LED-backlit Display (1366x768)
• 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
• 1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
• 6-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery
• HP TrueVision HD Webcam w/ integrated digital mic
• 802.11b/g/n WLAN

I lost the touchscreen (which i didnt much care about) and small SSD of the viviobook i was looking at, but i got a WAY better Haswell processor, double sized HDD, way better battery, upgraded integrated graphics chip, and its still super thin and light weight. I got it at about $650 as a grand total. Its going to be built and shipped to arrive probably a day or two before my first day of classes, so it seems to have been the perfect storm.

chulex67

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Yeah, now that people are buying the Vivobook, I must say you dodged a bullet in that one. Its a POS, lots of errors, The Ram memory and SSD are Soldered to the Motherboard, wich are of bad quality. The Mousepad its really faulty and other tons of stuff.

Adam, blackfriday its coming soon, try to save some money to buy an SSD for your laptop, You wont regret it. and Nice deal you got there. Remember to get a proper Messenger Bag for the lap.

Solution

adampcpower

Honorable
May 26, 2012

If i do pick up an SSD, wont it have to replace the 1TB HDD thats already installed?

chulex67

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Yeah, But i would rather have a 250gb Super fast SSD and a 1tb extenal HDD. Than a Slow 1tb Main HDD. A Hard Drive its not only your storage, its also the Read and Writes Speeds. When you are taking to long to open a program, or its taking to much time to open a folder or suddenly the pc feels sluggish for like 4 seconds and comesback, thats the slow HDD.