Solved! Optical Audio Passthrough from Ps4 to AV Receiver

Hartan

Estimable
May 21, 2014
Hello! Planning to buy a PS4 Pro but I have a very important concern for me.
I want to connect the PS to the AV by the optical audio out, not hdmi and wanted to know if there is the passthrough option. I will be playing a lot of movies from an external hdd (mkv) with different audio formats (DD plus, dts-x etc.) and don’t want to end up not having sound. I basically want the av to do the decoding.
Thank you!

Solution
Here's somebody answering someone about simultaneous hdmi out and optical out from the PS4.

"In my experience, both will work simultaneously, but only one will passthrough 5.1. i.e. If you set HDMI to 5.1, optical output switches to stereo and vice versa. P.S. I tested this a while ago, not sure if it is still true with the latest 5.0+ updates."

So if what you're trying to do is send video to your tv via hdmi and sound to your AV (whatever that is) via optical, you should set your hdmi to stereo and your optical output to 5.1. He does use the word 'passthrough' but ... I don't know if it's unprocessed or not. I don't think 'optical' has the bandwidth to carry for instance DTS 5.1 does it? ... I think it has to be processed ... maybe...
AV suggests analog, stereo-only, and you want PS ---> TV ---> Ext Spkers?

Does your TV even have analog OUTPUT? I seriously doubt the TV will do an Analog-to-Digital conversion for you.

Can always test it first... everybody have some kind of boombox, smartphone at home right, just hook it up to the TV AV input see what it does.

robert600

Distinguished
Here's somebody answering someone about simultaneous hdmi out and optical out from the PS4.

"In my experience, both will work simultaneously, but only one will passthrough 5.1. i.e. If you set HDMI to 5.1, optical output switches to stereo and vice versa. P.S. I tested this a while ago, not sure if it is still true with the latest 5.0+ updates."

So if what you're trying to do is send video to your tv via hdmi and sound to your AV (whatever that is) via optical, you should set your hdmi to stereo and your optical output to 5.1. He does use the word 'passthrough' but ... I don't know if it's unprocessed or not. I don't think 'optical' has the bandwidth to carry for instance DTS 5.1 does it? ... I think it has to be processed ... maybe someone more knowledgeable will answer that. I believe that was one of the big reasons folks with great receivers with no hdmi in updated to a receiver with hdmi in (that and 7.1).

Solution