Optimising old laptop

anwarov

Commendable
Mar 11, 2016
Hi, i have an HP ProBook 4710s:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T6570 @ 2.10 GHz (2CPU, ~ 2.1GHz)
Memory: 2GB Ram
Graphics: Ati Mobility Radeon HD 4330 (512mb) Driver version: 8.632.1.1000
HDD: 250 GB
Running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit.

It is a shameful dinosaur of a laptop and thus, i plan on buying a new one in a few months. I am experiencing the following problems currently:
1) Stuttering video playback in youtube videos which are 720p, much more pronounced stuttering in 1080p videos.
2) Slow overall performance- even opening up a browser takes quite a bit of time.

I'd like to know if this laptop is even capable of running 720p videos or higher. If it is what can i do to make it work? Is it possible for me to make minor upgrades to the laptop which will enable it to get me through the following months, for example will upgrading the ram make any difference? much obliged.

Solution
You can and can not install Windows in more than 1 systems. It depends on the license you paid for.
There is a so called "Volume License" for multiple systems.

You do not need ultimate or professional version for normal home usage, home version is more than enough.
Hi,

If you're planning on upgrading the RAM's yes you can. You can upgrade the RAM's up to 8GB so that's 2x4GB RAM.

You can get the complete details of what RAM you can use with your laptop in this link:
http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2009/Mobility2009/Datasheet-Datasheet.4710s.pdf

But for the mean time do a virus/malware scan as well that may help in solving the issue. Please use the link below for the complete guide and tools.
http://www.tomsguide.com/faq/id-1691891/removing-malware-proven-completely-remove-bitcoin-mining-malware.html

Do also a disk cleanup to delete temporary files that could be a factor with the slowness of your PC.
Here's how: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ph/windows/delete-files-using-disk-cleanup#delete-files-using-disk-cleanup=windows-7

anwarov

Commendable
Mar 11, 2016
Thanks Laptop Nerd, will go through the links, also how much more ram do you recommend. also can you advise me on the stuttering video playback? is it even possible for me to view 720p 1080p videos with my current specs?. are they that gpu intensive? will upgrading ram make a difference to video play back? also can an internal intel graphics processor run such videos?

guanyu210379

Distinguished
I am still using my old Thinkpad T400 (P8600+2GB RAM+HD3470) , which is more or less from the same era like yours.
I upgraded the RAM to 8GB, replace the HDD with 256GB SSD, freshly installing the Windows...voila...that laptop is like brand new.

Note:
I replaced all the fans and the battery too...but this is optional...

As that ^, get at least 4gb of RAM, replace the drive with a solid state (if you don't keep any files locally really a 120 gig one for about $50 is plenty), will run HD video with no issues.

If you use the thing for basic tasks like online browsing, email, movies, no need for a new system, just a bit of cleanup and upgrades for 1/3rd the cost of a new one.

anwarov

Commendable
Mar 11, 2016
thanks a lot guanyu and hang-the-9. ill upgrade the ram for sure. will do some research on the ssd's i should get, seeing as how ive been told that there are different types of ssd's (faster and slower ones). i'll also be doing a fresh installing of windows 7. thanks again.

Samsung EVO 850 is a good SSD to get, but really any of them is fine if you can find one for a good price. The speed of even a slow SSD is a lot faster than a standard platter drive. It's like buying a Ferrari, even a slow one is fast :)

Kritonios

Estimable
Jul 25, 2015
You just need more ram and an ssd. Another 2 gb stick should be fine, and you should choose your ssd capacity depending on how much you will be using your laptop until you get the new one. If you do these 2 things I think that you would be able to see 1080p. I managed to do it with onboard graphics + core 2 duo @ 1,8 ghz.

That will add about $100 to the cost. Once you get to that much, may as well buy a used Core i3 or i5 or an AMD A8 or A10 system with a licensed 64 bit Winows on it. Don't need to go over 4 gig for just video use or web browsing, will be OK with 32 bit. Although I'm guessing the Ultimate version on the system is pirated anyway, no-one spends $200+ on a Windows license for a system worth that much in total when Home is just as good.

anwarov

Commendable
Mar 11, 2016
lol. i would be insulted if you werent right. but tbh i have the ultimate on my pc and tried to install it on this terrible laptop but alas it started to prompt me about it being pirated so i guess you cant install the same windows on two systems. lesson learnt. but your cursory analysis and judgement gave me a good laugh. cheers

guanyu210379

Distinguished
You can and can not install Windows in more than 1 systems. It depends on the license you paid for.
There is a so called "Volume License" for multiple systems.

You do not need ultimate or professional version for normal home usage, home version is more than enough.

Solution