Optimum promotional offers vs. my current very-slow DSL

minni

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2008
I get mailed offers from Optimum such as 10mbps internet, free TV, free router, and no annual contract for 24.95 plus $5 rental of router each month, for total of $30 per month. I am nervous about wireless, and also don't need TV. I currently use a DSL company (totalling approx. $28 per month but only 1mbs download) which uses Verizon's phone lines, and throws in a modem which they programmed as a router. I also have Magic Jack connected to my DSL as my phone. It all sorta suffices, albeit very slow speed. So my question is, whether transferring to Optimum would take me from frying pan into fire? Am I better off with my current slow DSL? Does the "no-contract" mean they'd probably increase rates willy nilly? I'm in poor health, and changes are difficult for me. In fact, I still have an old 1.7ghz laptop due to sensitivity to higher frequencies.

Solution
I terminated my Cablevision service Nov 2, 2016 and was told I had to pay Nov 1-30, 2016 even though I am no longer connected or receiving services, due to a new policy started Sept 2016. They no longer prorate your bill. I filed a complaint with the NYS Public Service Commission that regulates utilities including cable. According to them they do not regulate corporate policies, therefore it is legal for these companies to rob us. I got a call from the corporate complaint dept at Cablevision who explained that I still could use my mobile app!!

BlakePE

Commendable
Mar 5, 2016
I terminated my Cablevision service Nov 2, 2016 and was told I had to pay Nov 1-30, 2016 even though I am no longer connected or receiving services, due to a new policy started Sept 2016. They no longer prorate your bill. I filed a complaint with the NYS Public Service Commission that regulates utilities including cable. According to them they do not regulate corporate policies, therefore it is legal for these companies to rob us. I got a call from the corporate complaint dept at Cablevision who explained that I still could use my mobile app!!

Solution

minni

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2008

minni

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2008

Thanks! (sorry I didn't receive e-notification or i'd have responded last year.