Solved! optoma uhd 65 and windows 10

Jul 30, 2018
Ok I am new to projectors but I think I am having an issue with Windows 10, miracast and my new Optoma projector. Maybe this goes in the Windows 10 forum - I am guessing at the culprit.

I have been messing with this for 2 hours now and find windows 10 is apparently much worse than windows 7 in finding a projector and projecting wirelessly. Windows 10 has yet to detect the existence of the projector. It is detected by my router, but Windows cannot find it to connect.

I have the projector set up on ethernet and have the optoma control panel (via browser) set up, IP address, etc. but I have no idea how to broadcast or stream to it without directly using hdmi. I am betting it is a windows 10 problem. Is there a utility out there - I would even buy one - that allows me to detect the projector? Windows doesn't want to find it. I could do some things through a Roku, which shows up fine, but nothing from the new projector.

Any help is welcome - thank you

Solution
The owners manual doesn't state that you can send content over the lan only that you can control the projector over the lan.
If you don't have an HDMI cable for that you may need a wireless HDMI solution or connect a Chromestick or other streamer that can run PLEX or use DLNA to play content from the PC wirelessly to the projector.
The owners manual doesn't state that you can send content over the lan only that you can control the projector over the lan.
If you don't have an HDMI cable for that you may need a wireless HDMI solution or connect a Chromestick or other streamer that can run PLEX or use DLNA to play content from the PC wirelessly to the projector.

Solution
Jul 30, 2018
Thank you, that is what I was guessing would be the eventual answer. Fah. Do you recommend a wireless HDMI? Never looked into those.

Yeah, I have Plex, PlayOn and a Roku to run plus connect to but mostly 720p and 1080p for some is not why I bought this projector. I have HDMI cables aplenty, some in the ceiling, some portable. I was just thinking it's 2019 (2017 for the projector) so shouldn't we be able to use tha intarwebz to run projectors by default now? I mean, my Epson powerlite in my classroom does it and it's a few years old and nowhere near as nice a unit. Well, AND on a much lesser network than my home network, which the latter rivals the best in the world for personal ISP.

Not directed at the reply, just old man rant of "stuff should work better." :) This won't make me switch over to the Epson FauxK, just anxious for technology to catch up again. I'd like to stream me some 4K, which my network and server can handle but the apps and content providers largely cannot.