OS deleted from phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 18, 2018
I have a Samsung phone with Android 5.0 I had 12% charge on my battery and was talking on the phone when it died I put it on charger and 20 minutes later still no charge. It wouldn't turn on so I did the push power/volume thing to go to factory menu. Instead of going to this screen a gray screen with white letters popped up saying that if I created a custom OS I could have troubles and that I had no OS anymore i ended up being able to reboot phone to factory eventually. When I was at AT&T I described this they said they have never heard of it does anyone know what happened? Was this done remotely somehow or did my phone do it to itself?

Solution
I seriously doubt it was done remotely. More likely, something you downloaded was messing with the device, and you. Kind of like those popups you can get if you visit some shady sites that will say your computer is infected or we have detected, etc. Which is a complete lie. They are just trying to get you to click something that will mess with you and your computer.

Since you did the reset, you should be fine. If it was a "Factory Reset" rather than a "Hard Reset" then there could be residual files on the device, as the first gives you the option to try and save your own stuff. If it happens again, I would suggest doing the "Hard Reset".
I seriously doubt it was done remotely. More likely, something you downloaded was messing with the device, and you. Kind of like those popups you can get if you visit some shady sites that will say your computer is infected or we have detected, etc. Which is a complete lie. They are just trying to get you to click something that will mess with you and your computer.

Since you did the reset, you should be fine. If it was a "Factory Reset" rather than a "Hard Reset" then there could be residual files on the device, as the first gives you the option to try and save your own stuff. If it happens again, I would suggest doing the "Hard Reset".

Solution
Feb 25, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.